SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-17, 04:38 PM   #71
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyonen had a stuck oil filter recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
FWIW using an oil that has an API newer than the recommendation can be at least not good for your clutch, at worst harmful to your engine.

Mine had the best fully synth Motul in it when I got it which I changed when I got it home but it has taken 3000 miles for the clutch to work as it should.
Fair enough - I've had no problems with the clutch on the Shell stuff for the past 1.5 oil changes.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 06:19 PM   #72
Red ones
Mega Poster

Halfords semi synthetic motorcycle oil is OK. It hasn't caused any problems for me in the last 37 oil changes.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 07:04 PM   #73
aesmith

I've used all sorts in the past. I'm pretty sure motorcycle specific oils weren't even available in the late '70s and the '80s. Or if they were then I never saw them stocked. My bikes got "Castrolite" 10W30 or similar if bought specially, or 20W50 as used in the family car if needs must. Later on I used "Agricastrol" that we used in tractor engines, tractor rear ends, chainsaw bar lube, chainsaw two stroke mix - and my bike's engine.

Nowadays with bike specific stuff readily available it makes sense to use it, but I really don't think the world's going to come to an end if non-bike oil is used occasionally.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 06:30 AM   #74
Blapper

It's better than nothing for sure!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 04:16 PM   #75
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I've used all sorts in the past. I'm pretty sure motorcycle specific oils weren't even available in the late '70s and the '80s. Or if they were then I never saw them stocked. My bikes got "Castrolite" 10W30 or similar if bought specially, or 20W50 as used in the family car if needs must. Later on I used "Agricastrol" that we used in tractor engines, tractor rear ends, chainsaw bar lube, chainsaw two stroke mix - and my bike's engine.

Nowadays with bike specific stuff readily available it makes sense to use it, but I really don't think the world's going to come to an end if non-bike oil is used occasionally.
Castrol Grand Prix was the oil I used in the 80's

maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 04:43 PM   #76
Trev B

There weren't as many short stroke 4 strokes ( if that makes sense ) in the 70s ans 80s as there are now,maybe the CBX 1000 had a bit to do but nothing like these free reving powerhouses of today,so today's oils are really for today's bikes and this adds to today's bikes as a rule being very reliable !!!
Old 12-06-17, 09:37 AM   #77
Craig380
Mega Poster

A bit of thread resurrection - changed the oil & filter on my K6 yesterday. The last filter change was done by the supplying Suzuki dealer as part of the pre-sale service when I bought the bike from them 2 years / 11,000 miles ago.

I ran some ACF50 around the joint between the filter body and the mounting face, left it for 30 minutes, then tried loosening it with double-sided tape wrapped round it to get a better grip: didn't move a millimetre. Tried the leather-belt strap wrench trick: the belt snapped. Twice.

So went to Halfords and got a chain wrench, which started crushing the filter body but just managed to move it a bit. Moved the chain a bit, tried again - this time it cut through the filter case but moved it a bit more. Moved the chain again and this time it came free.

They must employ a gorilla at the Suzi dealer ... the new filter went on tightened by hand only.
Old 12-06-17, 10:08 AM   #78
SV650rules
Mega Poster

It is gonna be the rubber seal sticking to mounting face, and the longer filter has been on the worse it will stick. No need to tighten more than hand tight plus half a turn, and put clean oil on seal before fitting.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 12:41 PM   #79
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
The last filter change was done by the supplying Suzuki dealer as part of the pre-sale service when I bought the bike from them 2 years / 11,000 miles ago.
you do realise that when a filter gets old the filter element stops flowing as much and creates more pressure at which point the internal bypass valve (popper) is forced open sooner than it should be and doing so lets the oil free flow past the filter element, letting dirty unfiltered oil back into the engine.

oil change 3500 miles, filter every second oil change 7000 miles. i personally change the filter for genuine suzuki one every oil change at 3500 miles. they are always on offer at robinsons.

i have never had a problem changing oil filters but i use a cup type filter wrench, they are only a fiver or so.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 04:48 PM   #80
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
oil change 3500 miles, filter every second oil change 7000 miles. i personally change the filter for genuine suzuki one every oil change at 3500 miles.
Fair enough, different strokes ... I'm working by the service manual, oil change every 3,750 miles (6,000km) and a filter change every third oil drop.

The bike's never used for stop/start commuting or town work. I only ride for fun, so the engine's running under more or less ideal conditions all the time (i.e. no short runs, gentle running for the first 5 miles from cold before giving it any beans)