SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-02-17, 09:59 AM   #11
pookie

Default Re: Motorcycle Insurance 2017?

I liked Bennets as they have a reasonable list of mods that you dont have to declare. All the others seem to get spooked if you just breathe on your bike. I mean , screen, crash bungs, exhaust ,seat cowl , new levers , huggers stickers all seem pretty reasonable but try it with the others and the underwriters get in a tizz.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-17, 10:15 AM   #12
macamxthe1st

When I insured with Bennett's I asked " if I fit a end can in the future will there be "any" extra charge" when I informed them that I had fitted the can they charged me £35 . When I complained and played them the recording of the call, £35 refunded. Result.
Old 22-02-17, 10:34 AM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

All good info

Bennets are looking good to me.

16 modifications now included as standard, replaced like-for-like in the event of an accident

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 22-02-17 at 11:04 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-17, 04:50 PM   #14
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
All good info

Bennets are looking good to me.

16 modifications now included as standard, replaced like-for-like in the event of an accident
I'm with Bennets - if you use their online quote, go through it a couple of times. I removed the voluntary excess, added pillion and more miles per year, etc. and it made no difference to the quote.

I think there's a minimum at about £10/month which they just won't go below, so you may as well make the most of it.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-17, 05:13 PM   #15
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I'm with Bennets - if you use their online quote, go through it a couple of times. I removed the voluntary excess, added pillion and more miles per year, etc. and it made no difference to the quote.

I think there's a minimum at about £10/month which they just won't go below, so you may as well make the most of it.
Cool
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-17, 06:55 PM   #16
Toooldtodie

Bikesure (via Motorcycle Action Group) last year was £108 fully comp with legal cover included. 4 yrs no claims and low risk area. Just chucking it out there, simply renewed which is rare these days.
And that's with 8000 miles a year, no pillion, commuting.

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 22-02-17 at 06:57 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 12:55 PM   #17
aesmith

How are Bikesure on modifications? That's probably the biggest reason I have for sticking with Bennetts.

Just going through the process now, and since I'll be changing bikes a few months into the policy Bennett's admin charges are relevant. I've always gone for third party only and they're quoting me just under £90, protected NCD makes no difference. Just over £90 for TPFT and around £250 for fully comp. The last figure sounds too high.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 05:23 PM   #18
Toooldtodie

IIRC the only mod you had to disclose was anything that actually changed the output of the engine (upwards I guess) so aftermarket end cans, etc were exempt or anything that materially increased it's value like solid gold rearsets or stuffed moose head front fairing!
Pillions do cost an extra £20 or so.
That's fully comp, with £250 excess.

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 24-02-17 at 05:24 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 05:42 PM   #19
aesmith

Modifications are a bag of worms, even the very definition of "modification", for example does fitting an accessory count? Or is it only removing a standard part and replacing with a different one. Bikesure's help page doesn't clarify on that point, and although they sound upbeat about providing cover, they don't mention whether these items affect the cost. Did they say to you that anything not increasing engine power need not be declared, or that it should be declared but won't affect the policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://customers.bikesure.co.uk/faqs/
My bike has been modified, would you need to know and would it affect the cost?

Yes, we would need to know about any modifications to the bike, as this may affect the insurance premium depending on the level of modifications. However, we can cover virtually ANY modification. It's also worth noting that things like End Cans, Huggers, Belly Pans, Seat Cowls and Double Bubble Screens are no problem, so long as the bike is still road legal.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 07:27 PM   #20
Toooldtodie

Swings and roundabouts.
You don't want to pay for the fact that your bike has an Akropovic exhaust system but want to be paid out for it if the bike was stolen?
That would be unreasonable and as far as I can tell they work on that principle. Fair enough methinks.