SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-01-12, 01:00 AM   #1
benparker

Default Stolen/recovered bike help needed

Hi,

I could do with some help if possible. I had my sv stolen from outside my house on Monday night and suprisingly the police found it today (hidden about 200 yards from my house). They've taken it away for forensics and said that I should be able to collect it from the garage they use early next week. I'm keen to collect it asap as I have to pay for the recovery and storage costs. They said the bike looks fine, doesn't look like it's been dropped but has been hotwired. I'm hoping that I'll be able to start the bike and ride it back. Has anyone done this or does anyone know how to hotwire the sv? I assume they've cut the wires from the back of the barrell but whether they actually got it to start I don't know. Any help would be much appreciated. If, understandably, you don't want to put it on a public forum could you PM me. Also it's a 1999 if that makes a difference.

Thanks very much.
Old 20-01-12, 09:04 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stolen/recovered bike help needed

Hot wiring will not work as the ignition switch incorporates a resistor. No resistance detected, no start.

So depending upon the damage they did trying to hot wire it, you may end up having to get it recovered home.
Old 20-01-12, 09:20 AM   #3
tom-k6

do you know if it has been hotwired or just rammed a screwdriver down the barrel of ignition?
Old 20-01-12, 09:27 AM   #4
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Where are you ?, help maybe close to hand.
Old 20-01-12, 10:41 AM   #5
benparker

Thanks for the quick replies (it's in Loughborough btw). The police called again today and it seems to be worse than they first thought, no damage but a lot of wires hanging out apparently, as I have to pay for the storage after it's released I figured it's not really worth faffing about so I'm going to sort out a van to get it home.
Old 20-01-12, 11:35 AM   #6
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Pity you can't ask them to take it back to where they found it, you could walk 200yds home with it then.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-12, 02:58 PM   #7
tom-k6

i think the police is wrong to charge you for finding and storage of your stolen motor. everything everywhere is bloody sub-contracted out and probably sub-contracted out again.
Old 20-01-12, 04:12 PM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

They shouldn't be charging you for the recovery if they seized it for forensic examination.
There are various reasons why the police recover vehicles from the roadside, but if they seize it as evidence, then the cost is down to them. They are allowed to defer storage charges to you once they have finished with it and authorized the agent to release it to you. A phone call to their vehicle recovery manager (call the police switchboard and ask for them) might prove useful. Good luck.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-12, 05:06 PM   #9
bikeramy

Did it not have an alarm on or lock on? is it that easy for theifs to pinch?
Old 20-01-12, 06:15 PM   #10
k1ngy SV

Having to pay after being a victim of a crime. NO WAY! il'd try put in a claim to victim support as the police seized it to examine. (just a thought)