SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-07, 05:53 PM   #1
jans1971

Default sv650 to a fz1 is it to big of a step up

looking for a new bike middle of next year , i did fancy a buell but now a fz1 looks like the one , is it to big for my 2nd big bike , passed my test 4 months ago.
Old 27-11-07, 06:03 PM   #2
Ratty46

Default Re: sv650 to a fz1 is it to big of a step up

i wouldnt.... FZ1 can be a bit lurchy in the lower revs, its a big heavy not too mention powerfull bike.

i may be wrong but i wouldnt, not just yet.
Old 27-11-07, 06:08 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Do it, itll only feel big for a while, you've had the SV as a starter bike to get used to how to ride, now get what you want.
But testride first.
Old 27-11-07, 06:11 PM   #4
sv-robo

if it had been an r1 then it might have been the equivelent of passing your test in a robin reliant,then going out and buying a lambourgini.

as its an fz1,still quite a bit of differance in power considering you recently passed your test,but its not to big a step up so you should be fine.

ps didnt meen to make it sound like an sv was like a reliant,there great bikes i luv mine.
Old 27-11-07, 06:34 PM   #5
Fizzy Fish

i'd suggest making sure that you know why you're going for that bike and what it will deliver before making a decision.

I can totally understand the whole 'i like that one, it looks the dogs *******s!' thing, but bear in mind that bigger ccs isn't always a step forwards (e.g. more chance of the rear wheel spinning up in the wet)

we had a thread on here recently about why spending more time (or even staying) on a mid sized bike can be a better option to develop riding skills, etc - may be worth a read

the FZ1 is probably one of the safer/more user friendly 1000cc bikes though, so if you've thought about the above and like the bike (including on a test ride) then no particular reason why you shouldn't...
Old 27-11-07, 06:39 PM   #6
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-robo View Post
ps didnt meen to make it sound like an sv was like a reliant,there great bikes i luv mine.
yeah but yours is a pointy so i can understand that

like yorkie said, take a test ride see what you think, i personally wouldn't as its to upright for me as i like sports bikes

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-07, 08:56 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Depends on how well screwed on your head is really. It may be 1000cc but it's only as quick as you twist the throttle.

If your a bit of a "has no fear" bad boy on the SV, for instance, sometimes you arrive into hazards a bit too "wooooaaaah" quick, stay on the SV for at least another year, if not two. You'll arrive into hazards a lot quicker on a 1000cc without realising it. Because of your experience level, the trouble will be on you before realise it and it'll be too late to do anything about it.

If your quite sensible and can take it nice and easy until you've got used to the power, and you know the time and place for using that power, go for it. All you need to ride a 1000cc is a level head and respect for the bikes capabilities and a little bit of fear!

You know which one you are.
Old 27-11-07, 08:58 PM   #8
sarah

I reckon Ralph's probably right.

I went from riding an SV650s to a Z1000 a couple of months after I passed my test.
Old 27-11-07, 09:07 PM   #9
Ed

No of course it isn't too big a step as long as you treat it with respect and ride within your capabilities.
Old 27-11-07, 10:00 PM   #10
Sean_C

I reckon if you ride throughout the winter, you'll be a much better rider by the time you're thinking of changing.

I'd suggest taking it for a long long test drive, if you can. Try and fit in everything you normally do- be it blasts along country roads, a bit of town riding, etc, just to see how the whole thing feels. If it feels right, get it

disclaimer: I'm a newbie :P