SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-19, 08:13 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Triumph recall

Triumph recall hits 12000 bikes:

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/3...t-motorcycles/

One wag on a US site commented that Triumph's pursuit of the retro bike had gone too far with the introduction of the Lucas electrics.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-19, 09:54 AM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph recall

Even though this has been discussed a lot on the Triumph forums recently I am still to receive any official notification for this. Thankfully a local-ish dealer can sort Hugh out by midweek so all will be good. Shame my local dealer is no longer a franchise holder though...
Old 25-03-19, 12:05 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Shame my local dealer is no longer a franchise holder though...
I don't know whether it's the same worldwide but Triumph have been a bit dictatorial with their dealers in the US, demanding that they have so much floor space given over to Triumph displays and insisting that they carry a large amount of stock, the result being that many dealers are saying goodbye. Seems a shortsighted approach by Triumph, I think they are trying to position themselves as a prestige brand.

I like the look of the Bonneville family and would like one but I wouldn't buy one because of the arrogance/incompetence of my local dealer (40 miles away). The next closest would be 60 miles away, the York dealer has a good reputation but they are 65 miles away.
Old 26-03-19, 12:24 AM   #4
Talking Heads

Its a really simple problem and very easily checked and sorted on a new bike.
Wiring trapped under clutch cable at headstock causes wires to be worn away.
Problem would be on a bike with a bit of use, how badly damaged are the wires and does the recall replace the wiring or just re-route it?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 09:54 AM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

It's true about the nature of the brand. The principle of the dealer I got Hugh from came on The Triumph Forum and basically explained that Triumph wanted him to relocate 15 miles to northern Oxford so their dealer network was "better spread" and to find a bigger site. That would lose him a lot of loyal customers so he pushed back and had his franchise removed. They are now independent and Oxford-based Trumpet riders now have to go all the way to Swindon, Bracknell or Milton Keynes instead. The grapevine suggests Hertfordshire Triumph are also about to give up their franchise too so Watford or St Albans Trumpeteers will have to go to Milton Keynes or Ashford (the one near Staines).

The bikes are well liked but as many models are now at least partly made in the far east there are more quality issues that in previous generations. Many reports of the metal not being quite as good but then my Suzukis of the past all had corrosion of some sort after a few years and I don't think the reported issues have been any worse. Thing is when you spend £10k or so on a bike you expect it to have quality materials.

The proper fix for this recall (which I have still not heard about officially) uses a new part to re-align and/or protect the wires from the headlight surround. Some dealers are apparently just using a cable tie to move things around... I'll find out tomorrow when Hugh is sorted out.
Old 26-03-19, 10:38 AM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
...uses a new part to re-align and/or protect the wires from the headlight surround.
The plastic headstock cable tidy is replaced and secured with the bars positioned on full right lock.

Although I no longer own a Triumph I still follow the triumphrat site, you get some interesting threads. There's a 19 page one at the moment where someone tried to measure his oil level with a non-ferrous metal rod. Guess what happened? Yes, he dropped it in.

He's bought a borescope camera, a retractable claw device, locking forceps/tweezers ... other suggestions include superglueing a straw/chopstick to the end of the rod, using a TENS sticky pad, draining the oil/fuel and getting some friends to turn the bike upside down and shaking it (I think they were joking). Magnets featured prominently although the rod was determined to be non ferrous. Last time I checked they were speculating on making it a tv mini series.
Old 27-03-19, 02:16 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Now back from having Hugh's cable guide replaced. Nice and quick (just had time to drink a cuppa) and although it may be slightly psychological the clutch action felt a bit smoother on the ride back.

After lurking on the Triumph Rat site for a while I opted instead for The Triumph Forum. Bunch of loonies on there who all seem to get along, not too much grumpiness or cliques forming and if a thread makes it to the end of page one without being derailed into a discussion about cake it's a miracle.
Old 28-03-19, 03:52 PM   #8
Talking Heads

Mmm cake, what's your favourite Trev?
Old 28-03-19, 04:50 PM   #9
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I'm quite partial to a lemon drizzle but I have to say I had a scrumptious slice of fruitcake on Saturday while out for the day geocaching which had a sugar crust all over the top adding some interesting depth to the texture.
Old 28-03-19, 05:33 PM   #10
Talking Heads

Good choices Trev, but a traditional clootie dumpling is the daddy.