SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 16-05-09, 09:47 PM   #11
markmoto

Default Re: Police bike check

beware chaps i heard rumour from a mate of mine who runs a car parts business that they can now do you £60 fine and three points for an illegal number plate, must be full size with Bs number on proper spacing etc no special writing etc. And im sure if they can nw police will be happy to enforce that one.

Just victimising bikers yet again.
Old 16-05-09, 10:26 PM   #12
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototech View Post
beware chaps i heard rumour from a mate of mine who runs a car parts business that they can now do you £60 fine and three points for an illegal number plate, must be full size with Bs number on proper spacing etc no special writing etc. And im sure if they can nw police will be happy to enforce that one.

Just victimising bikers yet again.
Unless things have seriously changed, the plate is a non-endorsed offence (ie, no points), and it's £30. I was caught for this not so long back. But long enough that it may of changed.

Apparently if caught a few times consecutively, they're allowed to remove the plate & leave you & the bike where you are, whilst they refer you to a court for further rodgering, sorry, prosecution.
Old 17-05-09, 04:52 AM   #13
Jamiebridges123

I have a "slightly" smaller than standard plate on my bike, it's still a square one square and the digits are still fully readable for anyone with half a brain. Can't see any BS marks on it but it does say SV650s so I'll just claim I have dyslexia.

Sucks to hear bikers are getting targeted, but unfortunately it's becoming a country wide problem.
Old 17-05-09, 08:27 AM   #14
Bluepete
Mega Poster

So lets get this right. You were stopped, had a chat with a couple of blokes who could have fined you £30 for your can but didn't. That took, what three minutes out of your life? Plus, you got a "get out of jail free card" to wave to show you have already been checked. Not all bikers are riding Gods with an intimate knowlege of the law and their bikes roadworthyness. Some need stopping and looking at.

Stu, yes, Insurance and MOT can be checked from the plate, driving licence needs a date of birth.

Mototech, not heard that one, it's still £30 for an illegal plate.

So overall, a non-story really.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 08:40 AM   #15
timwilky
Mega Poster

Pete

In the spirit of fairness and to prove they are not discriminatory, should plod not also have targeted days where they will pull all cars and give them the once over and a ticket to go on their way if no defect found etc.
Old 17-05-09, 08:47 AM   #16
markmoto

Pete, i think what probably got the Ops back up was the statement "hello sir, just checking all bikes over the weekend for safety reasons" when we all know its not for safety reasons in northwales! If it was they should be checking all vehicles.

Aparently the £60 fine and three points is getting fazed in to discourage the use of non legal plates, its the first ive heard of it but he owns a shop who makes number plates so maybe its come down from sometome in that business, could it be a merseyside thing only purhaps?

Pete i lost alot of respect for the police resently when i was done for speeding, yes i was doing slightly over the limit but it was on a dual carriageway with a 30limit and i was doing under 40mph. to cut a long story short the police officer who delt with me said nothing about road safety just wanted to get me on the books and get onto the next one while there are people driving through red lights while using mobile phones etc , in my opinion speed doesnt kill its the inappropriate use of speed that does oh and around here the police never stick to the speed limit so its abit hipicritical me thinks.

sorry for the derail and the rant just wish they would do more towards dangerous idiotic driving than minor speeding offences but i guess they wouldnt make as much money.
Old 17-05-09, 09:29 AM   #17
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Pete

In the spirit of fairness and to prove they are not discriminatory, should plod not also have targeted days where they will pull all cars and give them the once over and a ticket to go on their way if no defect found etc.
i believe they're called "the other 364 days"

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 09:48 AM   #18
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
Stu, yes, Insurance and MOT can be checked from the plate, driving licence needs a date of birth.

So can you not get date of birth from the insurance records? I presume that's where Plod got my occupation from when they determined that I was riding it like I stole it

Oh & for completeness you can check tax from the plate yeah?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 10:18 AM   #19
Leopard_lily

Apparently lately they have been checking bikes for any modifications and calling insurers to see if they have been declared, if not - they seize the bike on the spot.
Old 17-05-09, 10:22 AM   #20
markmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard_lily View Post
Apparently lately they have been checking bikes for any modifications and calling insurers to see if they have been declared, if not - they seize the bike on the spot.
Realy? where did you get this info? reliable source it certainly wouldnt suprise me part of me thinks its long over due.