SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-10, 03:15 AM   #1
ClickKlick

Default Fork Inner Tube Brush Ring?

I was changing my fork seal today and managed to break a seal that appears integral to the inner tube. It is not shown on any diagrams nor in the service manual. This appears to be a tan o-ring inside the inner fork tube, it also has fibers around it, like a brush. This sits in the area of the damper rod and the white plastic oil seal plug.
This is on a 2000 SV650.
Pictures are below. Can this be replaced or do I need a whole new inner tube? Can I ride on the fork without this brush seal?

My broken piece:
Old 04-06-10, 05:34 AM   #2
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fork Inner Tube Brush Ring?

Good morning.

That's part of the shuttle valve assembly within the fork leg.

Unfortunately you can't buy the parts separately, & even if you could you wouldn't be able to fit them, as they are retained by the crimped end of the fork tube.

The cure is either a new or secondhand tube. Or you could re-assemble the forks & see how it rides. It's likely to make a slight difference in the damping performance. You'll have to see how it feels.

Cheers.
Old 04-06-10, 08:05 AM   #3
zadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
It's likely to make a slight difference in the damping performance. You'll have to see how it feels.
There is no damping without that seal in or broken like that.
Old 05-06-10, 03:20 AM   #4
ClickKlick

Why isn't this part called out on any diagram? Even my service manual doesn't make one reference to it.
Old 05-06-10, 06:07 AM   #5
zadar

Because it is not sold as individual part. See Spanner man post, it is installed permanently in fork tube.
Some parts are not meant to be taken apart, just replaced as assembly. Just like diagram does not show you ignition lock internals.
It does not mean it can not be fixed by somebody willing to do it
Old 05-06-10, 06:18 AM   #6
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickKlick View Post
Why isn't this part called out on any diagram? Even my service manual doesn't make one reference to it.

Because the part isn't removable without cutting the forks open, in the same way that the internal components of the ignition unit aren't listed.

It's either a new stanchion, or try it & see how it rides. As I said, you will suffer a reduction in damping, but it wont totally disappear.

Cheers.
Old 05-06-10, 06:04 PM   #7
zadar

Click, don't put it in. If you need new tube pm me, I have some and will buy that one from you.