SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 03-06-05, 03:11 AM   #1
madEG

Default front and rear stands

I purchased these: http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...ew.asp?D=1&S=4

They are the 'front rear universal stand package' set for $99USD and are supposed to work with near all bikes. I opted for the bobbin support pair. They took about two weeks to show up. I bought a pair of some various 3rd party 8mm bobbins from the honda dealer and gave them a shot.

Having never had stands before... [caveat emptor ] I'll comment that the rear stand seems great. Strong feeling and very secure. The front stand seems a bit nervous when propping up. That could also be my lack of familiarity with the whole deal... but the two upward prongs are not 100% still when lifting, and seem to move around a little bit. Perhaps that is by design, allowing them to settle correctly, not sure. Once hoisted they seem secure.

The rear stand itself for sure was worth $99. Trying another fancy front stand will really decide how much of a great deal it was. Most of the stands at the local shops, e.g. Pitbull stands, while totally cool, are $160+ for just the rear. Screw that. Just give me adequately strong press bent steel tubing in the right shape, with wheels that won't fall off. There is no fashion show in my garage.

Seems like a good buy.
madEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 08:53 AM   #2
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

My dad just made me a new stand thats lifts the bike from the swinging arm.
Old 04-06-05, 08:49 PM   #3
kwak zzr

ive got the champion stands from the demon tweeks catalogue and the front is like yours i think,just 2 small prongs to fit in the bottom of the fork legs.
trouble is the side the pinch bolt is there is a thread running all the way through and the prong is nakering the thread any ideas?
daz
Old 30-07-05, 01:00 AM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Those front stands are a bit rubbish to be honest, except for actual pit work. Half of the jobs that call for the front wheel to be off the ground can't be done with them. A headstock stand, or something like an Abba or NWS stand, is better on all counts IMO.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote