SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-11, 03:15 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Best Linux OS for a Media PC

I have a PC connected to my TV, I recently took Windows off and put Ubuntu 10.10 on it.

I need to
  • Play streaming internet video, iPlayer, You Tube, other catch up TV, etc
  • Play music files in all the usual formats, and a nice media player with a library would be good
  • Slideshow Photos
  • Play & copy CD's & DVD's
  • Play other common video formats, MP4, AVI, etc
  • Surf the web
  • Use MSN Messenger and Skype with a webcam
  • I'm using a P4 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM

Windows is a pain in the arriss, because I only switch the machine on once every one or two weeks, to watch something on iPlayer, or make a video call abroad, or something like that. Just when I want my limited ADSL bandwidth for those purposes, Windows and Anti-Virus decide they need updated and steal it all. When I'm finished and want it to shut down so I can go to bed, I get "installing update 1 of 3 million".

Ubuntu is fine, but I'm a complete Linux newbie, and getting DVD codecs installed doesn't seem to be as simple using the Synaptic Package Manager to download stuff. Managed to install Flash no problem, but last night watching iPlayer the bloody thing locked itself every 10 minutes forcing me to get out of my seat and put a password in, I don't know how to change that. The colours on the screen are not quite right either, as if somebody's been screwing with colour brightness and contrast on the telly, don't know how to update video drivers either. I haven't even got as far as figuring out how to get video files playing, never mind the rest of it. So far I've spend way more time fiddling with the feckin' thing than using it, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a Linux distro "appliance" that does what I want out of the box?

Last edited by -Ralph-; 22-02-11 at 03:22 PM.
Old 22-02-11, 03:32 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Best Linux OS for a Media PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I have a PC connected to my TV, I recently took Windows off and put Ubuntu 10.10 on it.

I need to
  • Play streaming internet video, iPlayer, You Tube, other catch up TV, etc
  • Play music files in all the usual formats, and a nice media player with a library would be good
  • Slideshow Photos
  • Play & copy CD's & DVD's
  • Play other common video formats, MP4, AVI, etc
  • Surf the web
  • Use MSN Messenger and Skype with a webcam
  • I'm using a P4 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM

Windows is a pain in the arriss, because I only switch the machine on once every one or two weeks, to watch something on iPlayer, or make a video call abroad, or something like that. Just when I want my limited ADSL bandwidth for those purposes, Windows and Anti-Virus decide they need updated and steal it all. When I'm finished and want it to shut down so I can go to bed, I get "installing update 1 of 3 million".

Ubuntu is fine, but I'm a complete Linux newbie, and getting DVD codecs installed doesn't seem to be as simple using the Synaptic Package Manager to download stuff. Managed to install Flash no problem, but last night watching iPlayer the bloody thing locked itself every 10 minutes forcing me to get out of my seat and put a password in, I don't know how to change that. The colours on the screen are not quite right either, as if somebody's been screwing with colour brightness and contrast on the telly, don't know how to update video drivers either. I haven't even got as far as figuring out how to get video files playing, never mind the rest of it. So far I've spend way more time fiddling with the feckin' thing than using it, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a Linux distro "appliance" that does what I want out of the box?
Ubuntu is about the most newbie-friendly distro out there.

I believe that there is a variant out there, called Medibuntu that should have all your issues resolved for you.

As for screen locking - thats easy to fix - System -> Preferences ->Screensaver, unticl the Activate Screensaver and Lock Screen checkboxes.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)

Last edited by SoulKiss; 22-02-11 at 03:33 PM.
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-11, 03:38 PM   #3
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Ubuntu is about the most newbie-friendly distro out there.

I believe that there is a variant out there, called Medibuntu that should have all your issues resolved for you.

As for screen locking - thats easy to fix - System -> Preferences ->Screensaver, unticl the Activate Screensaver and Lock Screen checkboxes.
OK, thanks, I'll look at that.
Old 22-02-11, 07:10 PM   #4
kerby

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Take a look around ,you can change the software sources to get all the medibuntu media players etc and there are good walkthroughs for all your issues
Old 22-02-11, 07:27 PM   #5
no_akira

Linux Mint is Ubuntu with all the media and non-free / proprietary software included, plus a shinny chrome look to it.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Just get the standard 32 bit, it will do everything you want straight out the bag.

Medibuntu is if you want to add a TV card and run MythTV, which allows you to schedule recordings using a select & click EPG interface. You can then stream your recorded TV programs over your home network (even to wireless netbooks). However MythTV can be a step learning curve for someone just starting with Linux. It took me 5 years to man up enough to take on the MythTV challenge.

Ubuntu always requires you to add alot of the media stuff like Chromium (Browser), GnomeBaker, VLC media player, Skype.

Skype can have problems in Ubuntu with the microphone part off web cam. I'm not sure if Skype is better / intergrated in Linux Mint.
Old 22-02-11, 09:23 PM   #6
beabert

Underpowered if you intend on watching any HD stuff from iplayer etc. Saying that maybe the Linux flash plug in is more efficient?

Im using win 7 fora simililar purpose, i turn all updates and unnecessarily services off etc etc, i manually update every now and then,
Old 24-02-11, 11:03 PM   #7
-Ralph-

Posting from Linux Mint 10 now, looks like just what I need, and quick too, thanks.