SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 16-09-04, 07:32 PM   #1
kermit

Default New SV650s owner!

Hey everyone!

Having recently passed my test I'm picking up my dream SV650s (in black) this Saturday!

Any helpful hints or tips to a new SV rider?
Old 16-09-04, 07:48 PM   #2
jonboy

Yes. Get down to Soho on a Friday nght.

Old 16-09-04, 07:55 PM   #3
Mr Toad

Well done, good to see another amphibian on the forum

Get yourself some crash bungs

Pop along to Nero's and say hello
Old 17-09-04, 09:29 AM   #4
Stig

Hi Kermit and a big
to the site. The only advise I got for you, is don't fall off it can hurt......LOTS.

See ya down Soho

If I ever get myself financial sorted again
Old 21-09-04, 12:51 PM   #5
Moriarty

Default An elegant machine for a more civilised rider...

I passed my test about a month ago and have for the last three weeks been riding around on my nice new (well, second hand but you get the idea), Black sv650. Congratulations on passing your test and getting a cool colour as well.

Tips I found useful were:

* Don't be too quick off the lights. At least not for the first ten minutes...
* When coming to a stop, be careful using the front brake while on full lock. Even if you are only walking the bike without the engine on.
* Don't speed up as you approach humpback bridges (one that I learned about personally)
* Practice U-turns somewhere safe like a car park. If this is your first big bike, you'll find the turning circle to be huge compared to what you may have been used to.
* If you find you're doing a wheelie, DONT let go of the handlebars. Lean forward instead.

And the most useful tip I could give is: DONT leave the parking lights on overnight and then expect to be able to ride somewhere urgently the next morning.

I've not been down to Soho on a Friday yet, but might get along there this week if anyone will be around...

Matt
Old 21-09-04, 12:56 PM   #6
Moriarty

Default An elegant machine for a more civilised rider...

I passed my test about a month ago and have for the last three weeks been riding around on my nice new (well, second hand but you get the idea), Black sv650. Congratulations on passing your test and getting a cool colour as well.

Tips I found useful were:

* Don't be too quick off the lights. At least not for the first ten minutes...
* When coming to a stop, be careful using the front brake while on full lock. Even if you are only walking the bike without the engine on.
* Don't speed up as you approach humpback bridges (one that I learned about personally)
* Practice U-turns somewhere safe like a car park. If this is your first big bike, you'll find the turning circle to be huge compared to what you may have been used to.
* If you find you're doing a wheelie, DONT let go of the handlebars. Lean forward instead.

And the most useful tip I could give is: DONT leave the parking lights on overnight and then expect to be able to ride somewhere urgently the next morning.

I've not been down to Soho on a Friday yet, but might get along there this week if anyone will be around...

Matt
Old 21-09-04, 01:16 PM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Welcome. There are always people at Soho
Old 21-09-04, 03:32 PM   #8
Mr Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
There are always people at Soho
. . . and if you're lucky, some of them clad in leather will have motorbikes

So be careful who you speak to
Old 22-09-04, 09:11 AM   #9
kermit

Default Still upright!

Many thanks for all your replies guys! (and gals).

I still haven't fallen off yet, although still nervoulsy foot tapping everywhere! lol!

I've spent the last 3 days having fun pottering around all the areas I know in London. Still haven't quite got the confidence to go round bends at any sort of speed yet! So no countryside trips just yet...

I'll do my best to make it to Soho. Seen all you guys on my way past in recent bar crawls. Although didn't realise it was a club at the time... So at least I know where the hang out is.

Just need to wait for the girlfriend to stop thinking I love the bike more than her before I venture out on a Friday without her!
Old 22-09-04, 09:17 AM   #10
Mr Toad

Default Re: Still upright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit
Just need to wait for the girlfriend to stop thinking I love the bike more than her before I venture out on a Friday without her!

Put her on the back and bring her along

You'll wobble a bit at first, but you'll soon get used to it