SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-07, 07:51 PM   #1
todes69

Default New SV650S owner looking for fixes

I'm the main mechanic for my SO's (red) 2002 SV650S (she's registered here, not sure if she's done more tan look as of yet). As such, she has asked me to figure out how to fix a few (minor) fitment issues that almost every bike has. I'm sure the answers are buried in the fora somewhere, but I'm having no luck searching so I appeal to the group knowledge and beg for forgiveness in asking (dead thread) questions:

Whatare you using for aftermarket (longer arm) mirrors? Are there any available with signals in them (Like the CBR's)?

The Shift Lever is too low for her, where can I find a shorter shift linkage and/or what should I be searching for (what is it commonly called)? I'm lookinf for that tie-rod that goes between the shift pedal and the arm on the transmission. I've seen them advertised before but I can't seem to find them now that I need one.

Is it possible to put the handlebars above the top triple-tree? It looks doable, but some instruction wold be nice so I can plan ahead and get parts to do it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-07-07, 11:41 PM   #2
Jester666

Default Re: New SV650S owner looking for fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by todes69 View Post
I'm the main mechanic for my SO's (red) 2002 SV650S (she's registered here, not sure if she's done more tan look as of yet). As such, she has asked me to figure out how to fix a few (minor) fitment issues that almost every bike has. I'm sure the answers are buried in the fora somewhere, but I'm having no luck searching so I appeal to the group knowledge and beg for forgiveness in asking (dead thread) questions:

What are you using for aftermarket (longer arm) mirrors? Are there any available with signals in them (Like the CBR's)?

The Shift Lever is too low for her, where can I find a shorter shift linkage and/or what should I be searching for (what is it commonly called)? I'm lookinf for that tie-rod that goes between the shift pedal and the arm on the transmission. I've seen them advertised before but I can't seem to find them now that I need one.

Is it possible to put the handlebars above the top triple-tree? It looks doable, but some instruction wold be nice so I can plan ahead and get parts to do it.

Thanks for your help.
You could try just using mirror extenders. One of the forum members supplies them.

Look at http://www.chewys-stuff.co.uk/chewy_intro.htm
Old 05-07-07, 10:10 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

The gear lever should be adjustable enough for just about anyone- it's got a very wide range of adjustment. I'd check at the opposite end of the lever to make sure that the linkage there is properly mounted, it should be close to parallel with the lever linkage but often it's not, and that'd rob you of adjustment (and also make it harder to shift as a larger lever action would be needed)

As for putting the bars above the yokes, yes it's doable but it's too much IMO, you need to drop the forks a lot to make it viable and that'll affect the handling a lot (though if it's lowered at the rear that'd compensate) You might even run out of clearance on full fork compression. If you do it, be very careful of that... Helibars or LSL Match clipons might be a better option IMO.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 11:00 AM   #4
clanger

I had the gear lever adjusted as I cannot flex my foot that well (damaged in bad crash yonks back). And why not go for a set of bar end mirrors - anything from £16.99 upwards from Busters, or M&P, or DemonTweaks. Or failing that, find a breakers yard and find some cheap ones there.
Old 05-07-07, 12:09 PM   #5
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by todes69 View Post
The Shift Lever is too low for her, where can I find a shorter shift linkage and/or what should I be searching for (what is it commonly called)? I'm lookinf for that tie-rod that goes between the shift pedal and the arm on the transmission.
I raised the main shift lever on mine by moving the short lever at the gearbox round by one notch. I then fine-adjusted the lever position by extending the tie rod. In the normal position, the tie rod ran out of adjustment trying to shorten it to raise the lever enough.