SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 29-04-08, 01:13 PM   #1
Baph

Default Motrax Mobile Phone Alert

Has anyone got any experience of using this? (Little unit that flashes when you get a call on your mobile).

I can guess how it works, and I wouldn't be relying on the battery inside the thing (it'd be wired to the bike with the approriate resistor). But I'm after knowing how reliable it is.

I'm considering entering into a venture where I'd need to be contactable 24/7/365 (again), and something like this would be ideal, especially at £4.99!! If not this, then I'm going to have to look at running with something like a bluetooth headset so I know when the phone rings or I get an email/SMS.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 29-04-08, 01:46 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Motrax Mobile Phone Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Has anyone got any experience of using this? (Little unit that flashes when you get a call on your mobile).

I can guess how it works, and I wouldn't be relying on the battery inside the thing (it'd be wired to the bike with the approriate resistor). But I'm after knowing how reliable it is.

I'm considering entering into a venture where I'd need to be contactable 24/7/365 (again), and something like this would be ideal, especially at £4.99!! If not this, then I'm going to have to look at running with something like a bluetooth headset so I know when the phone rings or I get an email/SMS.

Thoughts anyone?
Other, cheaper option.

Switch your phone to vibrate mode and wear it in your inside jacket pocket - should feel it against your chest then.....

Or stash your phone in the clear pocket of a tankbag

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-08, 02:36 PM   #3
Baph

Inside pocket would be a PITA, especially if I need to pull over urgently to answer the phone. But that's where the more expensive bluetooth option would come in.

As for tankbag option, that would mean always having the tankbag on the bike, which I pretty much did when commuting distance, but don't do now unless I need to.

A flashing light would be a good attract I reckon. For the fiver, I might even take a punt on it.
Old 29-04-08, 02:41 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

FFS invest in an autocom system or similar. You can then even have your important telephone conversation on the move
Old 29-04-08, 03:04 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
FFS invest in an autocom system or similar. You can then even have your important telephone conversation on the move
In time, I will. But I'm looking for something in the interim. The projects I may be doing, are only a possibility, so I'm looking to spend as little as possible to get something that works OKish (I don't expect it to be perfect).

Also, can't really say the idea of talking on the phone whilst riding appeals. Even with an Autocom, I'd choose to pull over to talk.
Old 29-04-08, 04:26 PM   #6
Dan

I work an on-call rota so I've tried one. It went off all the time, which was a pain, and I got so sick of stopping to find out it wasn't my phone I gave up.

However, it did alert me early on to car drivers on mobiles on a few occasions, so it did have a use. Just not the one intended.

Now if I ride when on-call I just use the thin magnetic base from my LIDL tankbag and stick the phone in the clear pocket.
Old 29-04-08, 06:41 PM   #7
Paws

yup itl flash when ANY phone goes off, not just yours
Old 29-04-08, 07:35 PM   #8
smegmunky

Quote:
I've tried one. It went off all the time,
+1
Old 29-04-08, 09:32 PM   #9
andyharding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
They are utterly Biz mate. mine was fond of flashing when you went through town, past the shops with the electric opening doors.
Old 30-04-08, 10:39 AM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
I was kind of expecting this, and have a couple of potentiometers I could wire into it to reduce sensitivity. I was actually anticipating having to boost the signal reception, but looks like that won't be needed.

Just need to work out the wiring inside the gubbins first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyharding View Post
They are utterly Biz mate. mine was fond of flashing when you went through town, past the shops with the electric opening doors.
Now, this is interesting. I am assuming it picks up on the residual interference caused when the phone rings. Slipped my mind that it could be affected by any electromagnetic motor. Still, I don't ride through towns that often, and if I can reduce it's range to maybe 5ft then I should be OK.

Thanks for the constructive feedback folks