SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-08, 10:53 PM   #1
crzylanesplit

Default Warm Up Engine / Brake Question

Hi All,

I was wondering whether it is necessary to warm up my 2003 SV650S engine before riding? I used to have a GSX-R and I would always let the engine run (per the manual) for about 5 minutes before riding.

Also, I had my master brake cylinder rebuilt and new brake pads put on to solve my braking issue. I am fairly confident that there was a piece of black rubber on the "bleed valve" on both front calipers. These two pieces of rubber are no longer there. Is it worth going back to the dealer (long long drive) to get them or is it safe to ride without them?

The link below shows the black rubber piece I am talking about. It is located right above where the stainless steel line connects. Thanks!!!

http://www.davelength.net/cycle/images/brakes.jpg
Old 28-09-08, 10:56 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Warm Up Engine / Brake Question

IMO safe without but put a small blob of grease into the end to keep crap out.

I don't warm mine up, just ride steady for the first 5 miles or so. 10 before I properly hammer it.
Old 28-09-08, 11:30 PM   #3
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Warming the engine up on tickover generally isn't much help. All you will do is warm the cylinders, some of the water jacket, and a little of the oil. Far better just to take it easy for the first few miles, that gives you a chance to also warm the tyres, brakes, suspension fluid and everything else.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-08, 12:50 AM   #4
ejohnh

I only start on choke if absolutely necessary and then maintain revs while I remove the choke. Usually begin ridind as soon as possible.

Is there really a recommendation to warm up an engine for 5 minutes before riding?
Old 29-09-08, 06:42 AM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Chris' advice about a bit of grease on the bleed nipple is spot on, as for the warming up just don't rag in the engine from the start.
Old 29-09-08, 11:58 PM   #6
crzylanesplit

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses they are all very helpful.

I noticed today that there seems to be excress brake fluid on the calipers. It is a fine mist covering the entire caliper. Could it be that the bleed valve needs to be tighteened? If not, is there any reason why there would be brake fluid around the calipers. Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 30-09-08, 12:18 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Somethings not right. Why would you suspect the bleed nipple? I would say the rapidly rotating disc, would atomise fluid from a bad seal and cause a fine mist...
Old 30-09-08, 01:06 AM   #8
crzylanesplit

I thought it to be the bleed valve because after I had my master brake cylinder rebuilt at the shop, the mechanic forgot to put the rubber pieces back on.

I don't know what to do at this point...I will wipe the area clean and then go for a ride and see if it comes back. I was essentially wondering if one would expect brake fluid to leak if the rubber piece was not on the bleed valve?

Thanks
Old 30-09-08, 01:18 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

No, rubber piece is meant to keep dust out of bleed nipple, not make a seal.
Old 30-09-08, 02:12 AM   #10
crzylanesplit

Okay thanks very much for all your help. I will clean it off and go for a ride tomorrow and post the results. Knock on wood.