SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-01-17, 10:21 PM   #4001
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

The dog.

Year before last the wife and kids went out to get a rabbit and came back with a dog as well as a rabbit.

Now I'm feeding the rabbit daily and the dog has had diarrhoea for a week. The carpets are being washed 4 times a day, I'm paranoid about e. Coli and giardia and Yankee Candle think Christmas is never-ending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 07:54 AM   #4002
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I think rabbits are the worst pets for kids. A pair of rats are much better. They live inside but are not smelly, will use a litter tray in the corner of their cage, are friendly, adapt their awake times to yours, unlike hamsters, and live 2-3 years so you aren't stuck with them when the kids leave home. They are also very affectionate and don't bite, unlike most kids.
Old 03-01-17, 08:37 AM   #4003
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
When was the last time anyone left their car parked with side lights on? (Other than by accident after which a jump start was needed)
Quite often here, we don't live in town with permanent light. Why would you NOT leave side-lights on your car parked on a dark road?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 08:47 AM   #4004
maviczap
Mega Poster

Why do the BBC (and other news organisations ) persist in sending an outside broadcast team and reporter to report on an event in the dark, when nothing can be seen or there's nothing new to report. I single out the BBC as its my licence fee that pays for these teams. Plus the weather report being broadcast from a remote location, London Zoo today!

Spend my money on better programmes
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 10:36 AM   #4005
DuncanC

LPH, we have a pair of house rabbits that the kids love. They are house trained and use a litter tray in the cupboard under the stairs where they live. Our rabbits have the run of the hall kitchen and dining room whilst we are out and can come into the living room with us in the evening. At night they live under the stairs. Rabbits are great pets if you give them things to do and space to move. In out old house we had a pair of French lops who had the run of the garden during the day and went home to there shed at night.
Rats are kind of cool if you don't mind them weeing everywhere.
Old 04-01-17, 05:09 AM   #4006
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanC View Post
Rats are kind of cool if you don't mind them weeing everywhere.

Sure rats are not the perfect pet but if there's an outbreak of the plague you'll be the first to know.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 07:29 AM   #4007
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

House rabbits are lovely, sadly most people just leave them outside in a tiny hutch. I'd like a skunk, apparently they are great pets. Not sure how the two fat boys would take to it though.
Old 04-01-17, 02:29 PM   #4008
Red ones
Mega Poster

My gripe today is newepapers that grumble about Fat Cat boss day. On the front pages they make huge assumptions (ignoring it's not cash but stock options that maje the numbers big) about executive pay of £75k a week and complain it's unfair.
Turn to the back pages and they lavish praise on premier league footballers on salaries known to be in cash and three times the sum while ticket prices are silly.

Old 04-01-17, 03:09 PM   #4009
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
My gripe today is newepapers that grumble about Fat Cat boss day. On the front pages they make huge assumptions (ignoring it's not cash but stock options that maje the numbers big) about executive pay of £75k a week and complain it's unfair.
Turn to the back pages and they lavish praise on premier league footballers on salaries known to be in cash and three times the sum while ticket prices are silly.

It's a different kettle of fish. Bosses in some cases decide their own salary and also the salaries of everyone under them. Earning over a certain (large!) amount is simply sheer greed while their lowest employees probably work harder, in worse conditions and for minimum wage.

While footballers do negotiate their pay, they don't decide it, and they're only worth as much as people are collectively prepared to pay to see them. Ticket prices are a simple supply and demand scenario, and going to see sport is a luxury anyway. The players aren't responsible for this.
Old 04-01-17, 03:22 PM   #4010
Red ones
Mega Poster

How much did the same club play the groundsman, or the people who clean, or secure the ground? Who is the collective? Us it the manager whose pay is often linked to the players pay?
Is it the same club that fleeces grassroots?

Why does TV cost so much? Sky costs a fortune to pay ridiculous sums for football so the players can take £250,000 PER WEEK.

Footballer pay is in cash. FTSE execs are often partly cash, part stock. There are people on that FTSE list who actually get a couple of weeks of footballer pay in cash, the rest is performance related share options. If they are rubbish at the job, then the shares are worthless.

The point I was trying to make is the hypocrisy of the newspapers. Target FTSE and conveniently forget those they praise.

Where useRupert Murdochs pay?

Tabloid hypocrisy.

And don't start me on the 1%. Did you know that to be in the world's top 1% for wealth you need a massive (if you believe the tabloids) £250k in assets to your name.