SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-02-09, 08:07 PM   #1
mrsWRCsixtythree

Default Building your own website

I am setting my self up as a sole trader as a photographer - I currently do it as a hobby.

I would like to keep costs as low as possible to start with but would like a website so I can display my images etc on and give the usual basic details about what i'm offering.

So my question to the org. is can anyone recommend something for me to build my website with i.e dreamweaver etc.

Thanks
Old 08-02-09, 08:17 PM   #2
Seggons

Default Re: Building your own website

It might help others if you say how computer literate you are. If you know your way round HTML/PHP then you can knock one up using notepad. But if your knowledge is little or you prefer to have the software to do the code and you to design it then something like Dreamweaver would be good.
Old 08-02-09, 08:20 PM   #3
hob

Dreamweaver is about the best tbh.

Although a nice php web script will enable picture uploading/gallery if you don't want to have to manually update it.
Old 08-02-09, 08:21 PM   #4
mrsWRCsixtythree

I have had a little experience about three years ago of using dreamweaver (very basic) but I did not have the time back then to learn much about HMTL.

I can pick more things computer related up quickly so open to suggestions.
Old 08-02-09, 08:21 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I'll be watching this thread with interest, I'm very computer literate and have dreamweaver. I have the same aim.
Old 08-02-09, 08:40 PM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Dreamweaver - oh dear......................

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 08:40 PM   #7
John 675

Dreamweaver is deffinately a good choice.. if your Html knowledgeable then that will get you set up pretty well also
Old 08-02-09, 08:41 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Dreamweaver - oh dear......................
it's simple! If I could code I would. Unfortunately I'm simple so it suits.
Old 08-02-09, 08:47 PM   #9
Baph

I fail to understand why people don't stick to what they're good at, and outsource everything else.

Instead of writing a page (or a few pages) then hosting it somewhere, all of which will take time (and time costs money); why not use a pre-built solution?

What I'm thinking, is that there are dedicated hosts, and you can simply click a button to install applications that will let you host a photo. These applications can be customised as you see fit pretty much, dependant on your knowledge or the availability of anyone that knows more.

For example, www.godaddy.com, if you sign up for a basic account, it'll cost you a couple of pounds per month tops. The software is then free, and there's no further charges unless you want something extra, or you need more space, or more transfer per month.

Using somewhere like godaddy, you could go from nothing, to owning a domain name, having webspace for that domain name, database backend and have the ability to upload/view photo's within about 10mins. The DNS propagation for the domain name may take a little longer, but recently it's only been about 30mins for me.

If you're interested in a solution like this, post back, and I can give more specific details.
Old 08-02-09, 09:14 PM   #10
missyburd

+1 for Dreamweaver, nice and simple to use. Give Samnooshka a PM she's a professional photographer with a fab site (have a look at her sig for the linky)