SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-05-07, 07:53 PM   #1
SVeeedy Gonzales

Default Forks losing their damping?

The SV has felt a bit odd riding for the last few times, especially on the front end. This evening I noticed that the forks/whole front end can be bounced up and down very easily - several inches up and down with just me getting on and off. Is it because I've put on a few pounds or could it be that they're losing damping? There's no sign of oil loss around the forks and it's a K4 with under 9000 miles

The springs still go up and down, I'm sure they used to not go down that far when they were under load though.
Old 09-05-07, 09:32 PM   #2
weazelz

Default Re: Forks losing their damping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales View Post
has the weather been noticably warmer? temperature can make a difference to the oil viscosity
Old 09-05-07, 11:25 PM   #3
Razor

Have you been eating lots of pies?
Old 10-05-07, 11:07 AM   #4
SVeeedy Gonzales

Yes I have been eating pies.

No the weather wasn't noticeably warmer when they felt like they'd lost damping.

They were back to their normal selves this morning, not as bouncy and felt fine. Bizarre. I'm expecting them to be rubbish again this evening... can a few degrees C make that much difference??
Old 10-05-07, 04:22 PM   #5
Stig

I would guess that the oil in the forks has never been changed. Considering that it's a K4, that's now over two years. Time to change the oil.
Old 10-05-07, 07:40 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

I've noticed, that now the weather has got warmer, that my front suspension is squidgier. A few degrees can make a bit of differance, it seems!

Actualy, i've been pondering - and this is a bit off topic here - about the feasiblity of fitting GSXR600 K1 front forks (right-way up forks, like the SV, but far better) to my SV. I dont want upside downies, as i want to retain the look of the bike, but I do want a bit of a firmer front end and some adjustment options

Matt
Old 10-05-07, 08:20 PM   #7
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Actualy, i've been pondering - and this is a bit off topic here - about the feasiblity of fitting GSXR600 K1 front forks (right-way up forks, like the SV, but far better) to my SV. I dont want upside downies, as i want to retain the look of the bike, but I do want a bit of a firmer front end and some adjustment options
TSM has SRAD 600 RWU Forks on his curvy, you might want to try him
Old 11-05-07, 10:03 AM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
TSM has SRAD 600 RWU Forks on his curvy, you might want to try him
I did, i actualy have GSXR K1 600 RWU forks now but have not ridden the bike with them on yet as its off the road for a while.

SRAD tripples and K1-3 forks plus calipers for them, all you need to do is shim out the calipers by 2mm with two washers. Use an axle from SRAD series as they are a little longer, wheels are the same srad to K3 and disk are same too.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 10:12 AM   #9
Taipan

I've opened up a few sets of forks to find the oil been emulsified! Fresh oil has restored the dampoing action nicely. So if me were thee I'd drop the forks and change the oil.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 11:07 AM   #10
andy

I have a similar problem with my Curvy, I did the springs and oil at about 10,000 miles, and now at 23,000 I am sure the damping has gone (although it may just be that I am used to my TLR and that is why I think it), anyway I am sure the oil has a pretty short life so am going to change it when I get the chance.