SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-12-04, 04:42 PM   #1
cm-monkey

Default SV400S same as SV650S ??

Hi
I am thinking about buying an SV400S that is currently for sale. I'm told it is a 1998 model. Is the 400 pretty much the same as the 650 as far as servicing and maintenance is concerned (ie. can I use the '99-'01 650 manual) ?? Also, is anyone aware of any significant issues with the early 400s ??
Any advise or info would be appreciated.
Monkey
Old 04-12-04, 06:04 PM   #2
wheelnut

Have a look here, it gives a good comparison of every bike. I searched for a naked 400 but you can search for the S 98 model from this link.

The 400 was a grey imported bike to the UK so there wont be so many of them here.

I was looking at a couple here in a dealer for a project which never got off the ground

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Suzuki/1998/SV%20400/
Old 04-12-04, 08:37 PM   #3
admin
John T
Mega Poster

This lady brought one to the mcn day a few years back

John
Old 04-12-04, 10:24 PM   #4
Jp

Id expect them to feel a bit "gutless", a 400 vtwin wont have that much power imho.

Probs about 45bhp, dont see why u cant get a 650, probably be about the same price, grey import 400's are always well over priced.
Old 04-12-04, 11:12 PM   #5
wheelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp
Id expect them to feel a bit "gutless", a 400 vtwin wont have that much power imho.

Probs about 45bhp, dont see why u cant get a 650, probably be about the same price, grey import 400's are always well over priced.
Except that 650's may be grey imports in Thailand.

I would have thought it will be a genuine bike there
Old 04-12-04, 11:43 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

If you tire of it, you could bore it out to 650 One thing I really like about it is the centrepiece of the rear, no pillion spaces! OK, rubbish if you want to carry a pillion, but much neater than saddle shutters for those of us who don't want to. I've been trying to track down the SV400 part since it should fit on a 650, but there's none to be had it seems.

That one in the piccy is very nice, if I wasn't going to be trackdaying the bike next year I'd probably pick up the 2WJ fairing but since you can't get individual parts I'd be terrified of crashing it...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-04, 09:30 AM   #7
cm-monkey

This was my first post on this forum and I didn't expect so many replies so quickly - thanks for the comments.

The SV400 is 53Hp apparently. I test rode the one I am looking at and it seemed pretty nice to ride. "Big bikes" in Thailand are all imports (in fact a "big bike" here is anything over 150 cc !!) - there are litterally a handful of SV400s here but no 650s at all; the reason being the 400cc restricted licence in Japan (where these bike generally are imported from) is easier and cheaper to get than the higher bike licence.

Besides that, I class myself as a fair novice and so a lower powered 400 suits me just fine. The bike I am looking at does have a pillion seat (which also suits me) and actually looks exactly like the 650 pictures I've seen. If I do buy it I'll take some snaps and post them.

Cheers
Monkey
Old 05-12-04, 03:13 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Aye, it comes with a pillion seat with a strap, doesn't it, rather than the grab rail? Does it have pillion pegs?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-04, 03:53 AM   #9
cm-monkey

Yes you are right - pillion seat, strap, no grab handle and it does have pillion pegs.

Monkey
Old 08-12-04, 09:00 AM   #10
Runner Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm-monkey
This was my first post on this forum and I didn't expect so many replies so quickly - thanks for the comments.

The SV400 is 53Hp apparently. I test rode the one I am looking at and it seemed pretty nice to ride. "Big bikes" in Thailand are all imports (in fact a "big bike" here is anything over 150 cc !!) - there are litterally a handful of SV400s here but no 650s at all; the reason being the 400cc restricted licence in Japan (where these bike generally are imported from) is easier and cheaper to get than the higher bike licence.

Besides that, I class myself as a fair novice and so a lower powered 400 suits me just fine. The bike I am looking at does have a pillion seat (which also suits me) and actually looks exactly like the 650 pictures I've seen. If I do buy it I'll take some snaps and post them.

Cheers
Monkey
Hi I own a SV400S here in Singapore also, infact I just rode it to Phuket from Singapore last month!

Since the petrol price are sky high in our country, my advice to you is go ahead with no regrets, as the fuel consumtion for this 400cc is very very good at l=26km!

In Singapore, this model is consider ger import also compare to the 650, but most of the parts are interchangeable also. I do not know which part of Thailand you are in now, may be easier for you to source 400 parts right there, but here I have to get the 650 part for my bike most of the time.

Forget to add, check the clutch O-ring (at the right bottom of the engine), it tends to leak....

By the way, you are welcome to have a look on our discussion on this model here http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/...howtopic=58656