SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-01-19, 12:18 PM   #81
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: to all the workers, a message from the bosses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Precisely, and I'm rather happy to be put up in a hotel for an all expenses paid knees up on the bosses tab, for husband being worth what he's paid to do, and driving a team to succeed working 50 plus hrs a week. .. Ta very much rich bloke. Keep on coughing up the bonuses too, keeps the wolves from the door. There's a good chap.
Good grief.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 05:06 PM   #82
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Good grief.
Huge dollop of sarcasm missed by a country mile

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 09:38 AM   #83
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
From Scotland.
Along with all the other money westminster thieves off us.
UK and Norway have produced roughly the same amount of oil, Norway has more money in its sovereign wealth fund than it can spend, westminster has trillions of debt.
But hey, cucumber sandwiches.
I think you're comparing apples with cucumbers when you use Norway as an example. In the UK, our taxes are about 38% of GDP, in Norway the government takes 55% of GDP.

[Source: https://data.oecd.org/gga/general-go...ndicator-chart ]

So, if we had all paid about 45% more tax over the last five decades we could have a top class health system like Norway. But instead we voted for lower taxes and more spending and as a result we've got a huge deficit.

You may have noticed that my posts contain references for where I'm getting my numbers from. Any chance you could share some of yours??

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-19, 04:52 PM   #84
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
I think you're comparing apples with cucumbers when you use Norway as an example. In the UK, our taxes are about 38% of GDP, in Norway the government takes 55% of GDP.

[Source: https://data.oecd.org/gga/general-go...ndicator-chart ]

So, if we had all paid about 45% more tax over the last five decades we could have a top class health system like Norway. But instead we voted for lower taxes and more spending and as a result we've got a huge deficit.

You may have noticed that my posts contain references for where I'm getting my numbers from. Any chance you could share some of yours??

Keith.
Norwegian taxation regime is very different to ours, yes Norwegians do pay higher taxes, but the bulk of their revenue comes from taxation on oil and gas which is then invested in a sovereign wealth fund.
The reason Norway is bajillions in the black isn't because individual Norwegians pay high income tax, its because they have competent government.

https://resourcegovernance.org/blog/...th-oil-revenue

So comparing Norwegian hydrocarbons with UK hydrocarbons, almost the same quantity produced of each, but Norway has generated three times as much tax revenue from theirs.

Regarding another point I've previously made, whether Scotland subsidises England or other way round, even the BBC knows the truth, per head GDP England £23226 and Scotland £26424

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-26326117
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-19, 01:00 PM   #85
Bibio
Mega Poster

if the UK public want what Norway has then how about a nice income tax hike to 38%... how does that sound?

never mind all the rest of the high tax rates like the equivalent of our NI contributions.

the cost of living in Norway is huge but they also get paid more (not by much though).

could Scotland do any better... maybe, maybe not. i personally think yes as Scotland have to balance the books with pitiful handouts but they would need a good person at the head of it all to begin with who could set the rules and ring fencing. i feel that the nippy little lying cow that is first minister is not the right person. i wish she would do everyone in Scotland a favour and crawl back under the rock she came from.

its already been proven that an independent Scotland would be no better or worse off at the beginning, its only the future that poses a problem but the same could be said for any new country... i also fully believe that if it were not for all the dirty underhanded scare mongering from Westminster and its cronies then Scotland would be independent today.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-19, 03:22 PM   #86
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
<snip>

I also fully believe that if it were not for all the dirty underhanded scare mongering from Westminster and its cronies then Scotland would be independent today.
No, we'd still be arguing about the details of who pays for what.

I live down in the south, but I think if there was ever a time for Scotland to become independent this is it. We're at a point where the money received from Westminster broadly matches the taxes that an independent Scotland could expect to raise. So even with a per capita share of the national debt Scotland would be in a reasonable fiscal position. Hopefully, the oil revenue would last long enough for them to diversify into other areas of economic activity.

Unfortunately, I would expect the (English) Labour party to do everything in their power to prevent independence because in the past Scotland has returned a significant number of Labour MPs. Without Scottish votes (or SNP support in Westminster) they could be facing decades in opposition.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.

Last edited by keith_d; 15-01-19 at 03:45 PM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote