SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-06, 01:24 PM   #1
Warthog

Default Maxxis tyres

I was just wondering, at the service, the stealer changed my tyres. They are now Maxxis Supermaxx radial's 160/60R17. I have never heard of them, does anyone know whether they are bad or good?
Old 20-09-06, 01:30 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Cheapest of the cheap I think. Whether they're any good or not I don't know. Sounds cheeky to me!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-06, 01:31 PM   #3
grecian9

they've made mountain bike tyres for a while and I think have done MotoX too. I've got a Maxxis front tyre on my Kona Stinky downhill bike - they're well respected in the push bike world.
Old 20-09-06, 10:17 PM   #4
andyaikido

I've only ever heard of them doing scooter tyres meself. I wouldn't have them on but i'm a bit of a label queen.
Old 20-09-06, 11:35 PM   #5
21QUEST
Mega Poster

How much did they charge you for them?

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-06, 11:43 PM   #6
RandyO

Maxxis are fighting an uphill battle to be accepted, here in the states, moto rags have given them a decent review, never the best, but performing right in the mix of the well known brands

from what I understand, Maxxis = Chen Shen, they are one in the same company
and Chen Shen is known for cheap cheap tires, 1/3 the price of others, they are nothing I would care to test the limits of my bike on, but they are rouns and hold air and have adequate tread to pass safety inspection for thousands of miles with their hockey puck rubber, and for a lot of riders they are adequate. Maxxis, I guess is their entry into performance oriented tires

Shinko is another up and coming tire too,

As many miles as I ride, I am tempted to try more different tires, but lately I've been sticking with the Azaro STs in the summer, (I like the feel and grip on transitional surfaces and how the seem consistent from mile 1 to mile 10,000+) and in winter the Pirelli Mt60R-corsas, I don't particularly care so much for the wear or feel of the the Pirellis at all, but they are the only tire that I have found that warms up and has any traction on below freezing pavement temperatures, and they are awesome in wet and on dirt
Old 21-09-06, 12:02 AM   #7
Apophes

while my sv is sick i have been using a friends cbr 1000 f and its shod with maxxis rubber [teflon] tyres
there great for making you remember your hearts working great for dry weather commuting down a straight road with no bends,junctions or roundabouts
Old 21-09-06, 09:24 AM   #8
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST
How much did they charge you for them?

Cheers
Ben
It was before I had bought it, they just serviced an old bike, it needed new tyres so they put these on. I haven't lost control particularly ever, but I reckon I would love something that feels really sticky.