SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-05-13, 08:42 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Oil change interval? k3 sv650s

Here's the story..

Engine rebuilt.
MOT June 2011 (18,775 miles)
oil changed 100 miles later
oil topped up to brim for winter storage.

Oil changed march 2012 after garaged during winter.
MOT July 2012 (21,307 miles)
Bike garaged winter 2012, not topped up but had enough turnovers regularly.

Current mileage 22,504. (2,432 miles since rebuild)

Should i change the oil ? - only ran about 1800 miles last year since march oil change.

(i know - get out and do more miles )
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 09:04 PM   #2
stuR

Default Re: Oil change interval? k3 sv650s

I wouldnt personally.
Old 20-05-13, 09:21 PM   #3
wideguy

It depends partly on the conditions within your garage. If they are such as to lead to condensation, I'd change it.
Water in oil creates acidic compounds that are bad for engines.
If by "turnovers" you mean you ran the engine until it was thoroughly up to normal operating temp, so the oil got hot enough to boil off any water, it's probably fine.
Old 21-05-13, 08:22 PM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: Oil change interval? k3 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
It depends partly on the conditions within your garage. If they are such as to lead to condensation, I'd change it.
Water in oil creates acidic compounds that are bad for engines.
If by "turnovers" you mean you ran the engine until it was thoroughly up to normal operating temp, so the oil got hot enough to boil off any water, it's probably fine.
Nice wooden insulated from the elements garage tbh. Turned over exactly as you described. Waited until temp was up and all water vapourised from the exhaust.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-13, 08:53 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

I treat service intervals on a mileage or time basis. SV 4000 miles or 12 months. For the small cost of doing it, why not? My SV is serviced 3 times a year-oil and oil filter changed every time, K & N cleaned every other, spark Plugs checked every 3rd service.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote