SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-01-08, 10:19 PM   #1
philbut

Default A sticky situation...

OK, I appologies for the really poor pun in the title...

Just before Christmas, I was riding my girlfriends CBR125 from Oxford to Cambridge for her when i suddenly lost use of the gear selector. After pulling over, it became obviouse that one of the bolts that holds the left hand riders foot pegs had become loose and fallen out. This bolt also acts as the pivot for the gear select mechanism. A**e. 80 m iles to go, its getting dark and I'm in the middle of no where. So, I stuffed a stick into the hole and wedged it tight (see picture), hoping that it would get me to the next town - but it held all the way to Cambridge! Not bad!

So, my question is what other make shift repairs have people made at the side of the road with unusual objects???

stick repairs.JPG
Old 02-01-08, 10:22 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: A sticky situation...

Mr Slark's gear lever got bodged back together using a lot of duct tape and melodys spare clutch lever on the hardy bikers rideout.
Old 02-01-08, 10:39 PM   #3
fatneck

Didn't I see someone (on here maybe?) advertising emergency replacement spare gear select mechanisms? A tenner a go and it lives under the seat until needed, something like that?
Old 02-01-08, 10:41 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ome+gear+lever

Got one of those, they look like a great piece of kit. Thankfully not had to use it yet.
Old 02-01-08, 11:11 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Once many years ago on holiday in France on my trusty BMW I met up with a Dutch guy on a Moto Guzzi. The starter button on the Guzzi had self destructed (no surprise there) and he'd been bump starting it fully laden with camping gear.

I fitted a wire to the starter solenoid energising coil that he could just touch on the positive terminal (the starter is like a car's on the side of the engine on the old Guzzis) and away it went. Taped the wire to the frame in a handy spot and he was set to get home. Beers all round

A few years ago there was building work going on next door to me, and the guys were struggling with a large Hitachi excavator with a duff ignition switch, so I went over and (you guessed) did exactly the same wire trick and away it went. More beers all round
Old 03-01-08, 12:29 AM   #6
-Ralph-

My 06 pointy used to do the same thing, the bolt that the gear lever pivots on unscrews itself and you feel it knocking on your boot as it bounces along the ground. Got it tightened properly now though.
Old 03-01-08, 01:09 AM   #7
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
OK, I appologies for the really poor pun in the title...

Just before Christmas, I was riding my girlfriends CBR125 from Oxford to Cambridge for her when i suddenly lost use of the gear selector. After pulling over, it became obviouse that one of the bolts that holds the left hand riders foot pegs had become loose and fallen out. This bolt also acts as the pivot for the gear select mechanism. A**e. 80 m iles to go, its getting dark and I'm in the middle of no where. So, I stuffed a stick into the hole and wedged it tight (see picture), hoping that it would get me to the next town - but it held all the way to Cambridge! Not bad!

So, my question is what other make shift repairs have people made at the side of the road with unusual objects???

Attachment 1015
More importantly does this mean you're still with your gf Phil? Or did you take the 125 in the split?
Old 03-01-08, 01:34 AM   #8
Berlin

I once used a badger as a replacement chain until I got to the middle of beyond.
Old 03-01-08, 01:44 AM   #9
Razor

I once used a mountain bike brake lever, off my nephew's bike as a clutch lever for a XJ600. I had to trim the lever to fit inside the yamaha's clutch bracket and accept the cable, lasted for 2 months until I had the money for a genuine lever.
Old 03-01-08, 07:40 AM   #10
Stig

Hmmm.

Stuck in the Alps with an exhaust that had fallen off. I used the wire from a champagne cork to temporarily keep it in place.

I have used a pair of pliers to pull use the clutch after a car broke it off.

I've used a piece of wire for a fuse when the headlight fuse blew. Yes it was dark.

Tie wraps to keep bodywork on.

I am sure there are plenty of others that have now been erased from my memory.