SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-12-16, 03:18 PM   #41
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Street Twin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I have read reviews and seen it described as a cruiser with the wrong riding position and also as a 'sportbike' (with a seriously lazy engine)
So it'll appeal to ppl who don't like the current standard offerings. I can see the appeal of a bike that handles well but has a more relaxed engine.

Anyway Triumph likes mismatching things. I test rode a Rocket III once - it's a cruiser but that ain't a cruiser engine. It doesn't want to cruise, it wants to go.
Old 06-12-16, 03:26 PM   #42
Blapper

Badge snobbery? Yeah, I get that. Let's not confuse Hinkley Triumph with Meriden Triumph. When they started, Hinkleys wanted to distance themselves from the old tech Meridens, but then they needed history because retro style became cool. It stuck in my throat. Have you noticed the 'only subtly different' badge? Says it all really.

It's a shame they weren't more savvy at the outset because their products were good enough right off the bat to give Meriden credit for the old models and their unique character (which the new Hinkleys don't have).
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 10:43 AM   #43
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

For a good review of the older model T100 have a look at this Aussie video on the Tube, and try to spot all of the silly bits in it. He's done a similar review of the Kwak W800 which also had me laughing out loud. Shame this guy only has three videos posted under this user ID as I'd quite like to see a few more.
Old 21-12-16, 11:45 AM   #44
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickle View Post
Wife got her red street twin at the start of 66 plate, it's her first big bike.
I find it small and very narrow, but she is little so suits her.
She loves it and even now it's cold she is enthusiastic about riding it.
Hoping to have one of these for the Missus (and me of course) next year.

She is still relatively inexperienced despite having a license for years and only wee. So her being able to get both feet down is important. Easy on the Street Twin not so on a MT-07 and Guzzi V7, the other two we have been looking at.

A Triumph dealer is a problem here at the moment although there is one in the pipeline and she was not pleased with the one we do have.

Anyway,adjustable clutch and brake levers, ABS, TC (that gets a boak from me though) looks like it will cost peanuts to run and looks fantastic and proper, so little to do to it although the short noisy pipes would be 1st on the list but folk seem to say even the OE ones have got some guts.

What kind of range you getting on a tank?
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-16, 12:40 PM   #45
tj2

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post

Don't know about the street twin but the 120 is returning 200 miles to a full tank. Not all thrashy mileage but not pottering either.

Terry
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-16, 04:13 PM   #46
Heorot

GS1200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CxadhwMPg

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-16, 04:27 PM   #47
Blapper

Aye, I had the R1150RT which was a two-wheeled lorry. Lifting that was a cartilage popping experience. Great when going but a horror below 10-15MPH.

I love my SV.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-16, 05:04 PM   #48
macamxthe1st

I had a RT1150 which I put 20,000 miles on in one year from new. As you say a real barge at low speeds but what sticks in my memory was the number of warranty claims that i made in that year and not for small stuff either, things like failed abs, cracked discs etc. Had a look on the Triumph site and someone is reporting that the center stand lugs have torn away from the frame on their Street Twin. Now I too love my SV and not wishing to tempt fate but a great plus with the SV is it's long and gradual development since 1999 should and indeed does translate into cracking reliability.
Old 23-12-16, 09:10 AM   #49
Mickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
Hoping to have one of these for the Missus (and me of course) next year.

She is still relatively inexperienced despite having a license for years and only wee. So her being able to get both feet down is important. Easy on the Street Twin not so on a MT-07 and Guzzi V7, the other two we have been looking at.

A Triumph dealer is a problem here at the moment although there is one in the pipeline and she was not pleased with the one we do have.

Anyway,adjustable clutch and brake levers, ABS, TC (that gets a boak from me though) looks like it will cost peanuts to run and looks fantastic and proper, so little to do to it although the short noisy pipes would be 1st on the list but folk seem to say even the OE ones have got some guts

She has standard pipes, they give a deep throaty song with out putting in shop windows lol and being a cross plane crank it has a similar beat to the SV
The tank is small but she gets well over 70mpg so we are finding fuel stops at around 150/160 miles are good for both SV and Trumpet
If your mrs likes the look of it I'd say it is hard to fault in her position, it handles well, and is very manageable for a smaller rider, as Henry Cole stated when he took one around Ireland "it's friendly to ride"
Old 23-12-16, 09:44 AM   #50
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Cheers for that.

The 12L tank was a concern but thats a great range thanks to the good mpg. And less weight carried where you don't want it.

Test rides ahead in the *better weather.

*Thats a Scottish "better."
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote