SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-05-07, 09:02 AM   #1
hovis

Question taking things back to shops

my mp3 player has stopped working, so i took it back to currys the women said it looks like a fault, but as i did not have my recipt she could not do anything.

she said go & look for it, if you cant find it come back & i will search through the computer to try to find a record of when you bought it.but it will take my a long time
i told her 2-3 months ago

but as i paid cash & AFAIK did not give my adress what is she looking for?

its the matsui ½ price one so they must sell quite a few of these at £25

i thought i only needed a recipt if i wanted my money back, which i dont.

Old 05-05-07, 09:52 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: taking things back to shops

As far as I am aware, reciept required at all times.

Shops may have been more lenient really, but it could be that stuff is being "laundered" via returns.

Think about it - some chav mugs you for your MP3 player.

If you have the manual etc then you will probably have the serial number, which means that the MP3 player could be traced back to you.

If they break it - easy to do - and then take it back and get it replaced, then the replacement one would have no connection to you.

Havinf read, but not commented on your thread about it, sounds like the Firmware upgrade route would be less hassle.

Have you gone to the website and read the instructions on how to do that.

Its usually quite straightforward, if slightly intimidating at first, but I flash firmware on stuff all the time - ok so I am in IT for a living, but PC DVD drives, PC BIOS, my PDA and my PSP have all felt the wrath of a firmware upgrade in the past.

The main thing to make sure of is that the unit has a full charge before you start the process, its the device running out of power during the process that causes most problems with re-flashing.

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 09:52 AM   #3
kitkat

I thought if item is faulty you do not need a receipt. get back down there. ask ed our legal representative lol
Old 05-05-07, 09:57 AM   #4
hovis

the bit i cant understand is what she needs to find on her computer ?

i did try the Firmware upgrade but it did not work
Old 05-05-07, 10:19 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Sorry about that - lost track of the original thread, didnt realise about the Firmware upgrade.

I dont really know whats what, but I would go with Kitkat on this, go back, say you cant find the reciept and ask to speak to the manager.

If you can wait, PM Ed for confirmation of your rights
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 10:57 AM   #6
hovis

sorted

took it back to shop, saw a young guy instead of an old woman

5 mins later i was walking out with a new one

jobs a good un

maybe he was intimadated my my yellow power ranger suit.............or maybe not
Old 05-05-07, 05:46 PM   #7
oldjack

Moral - choose a young guy over an old woman everytime
Old 05-05-07, 11:16 PM   #8
Baph

Sale of goods act.

A receipt is not required to be given to a customer at the point of sale, therefore it is not possible to require it to trace a fault.

You have a 12month manufacturers warranty, and in general, your first port of call is the shop itself where you bought it from.

In that situation, when told that I must present a receipt, I would argue that no, all I needed was to show proof of purchase. A carrier bag can count as proof of purchase, but I would of been more awkward & asked what their CCTV rotation policy was? Oh, she doesn't know, bring the manager out & I'll kick up a fuss in front of other potential customers. Oh, what's that? I can have a replacement without bothering the manager or provinding a receipt? Thanks

I used to work in retail, and have had to slap a fair few managers (from a customer perspective) who's staff simply hadn't had the training & didn't have any idea about customer service.

You never win an argument with a customer, regardless of the outcome. Everyone sings your praises if your response is simply "Yea, no worries, I'll sort that now for you."

In this situation, if Curries is anything like any other retailler I've worked with, the MP3 player will be taken out back & taught a serious lesson. This usually involves a hammer, the kerb, the warehouse door, the side of the skip, you get the point. I used to love that part of the job!!
Old 06-05-07, 08:41 AM   #9
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
sorted

took it back to shop, saw a young guy instead of an old woman

5 mins later i was walking out with a new one
You're very lucky, it's not policy in Currys to accept "return" items without proof of purchase. (You could of got it anywhere).

They will also not refund equipment that is working OK unless you have every item of packaging etc which is not damaged. Seeing how so much syuff is now supplied in "blister" packs which have to be broken to get to them out, I think this is out of order.

I had a "long discussion" over an Ipod accessory which didn't do what I was led to believe it did so wanted to return it. I had to get the store manager involved and a threat of legal action before they budged.

It's down to rules put in place by the parent company, DSG, who own Dixons, Currys and PC World.

Old 06-05-07, 09:23 AM   #10
hovis

update

stored all my music on new mp3 yesterday, went out on bike all fine & dandy.

this morning its saying no files,44% of memorey is used up..........back to currys 2moro?