SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-05, 01:01 PM   #1
lawsey

Default Clutch lever for small hands

As a lady rider I have quite small hands and have just bought an SV but am finding the clutch very hard work as my hands are at full stretch. Does any one know if there is a suitable alternative that I can fit?
Old 02-05-05, 01:40 PM   #2
jonboy

Don't know of any alternatives and true the span can be quite large for smaller hands. Here's a tip, try using two/three fingers (index and middle) instead of all four, as this actually gives you greater reach - you'd be surprised how your little finger makes it difficult to span large objects as it's that much smaller. Providing you've got the strength this will hopefully do the trick.

Old 02-05-05, 04:52 PM   #3
daddy_sperm

it is possible to get different shaped levers for motocross, so i can't see how one of these won't fit the sv.

cheers darryl
Old 02-05-05, 05:02 PM   #4
Professor

Default Re: Clutch lever for small hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsey
As a lady rider I have quite small hands and have just bought an SV but am finding the clutch very hard work as my hands are at full stretch. Does any one know if there is a suitable alternative that I can fit?
Same problem with me (I wear XS gloves). Just got used to it.
Old 02-05-05, 06:21 PM   #5
K

Bend the lever.

No seriously.

OK, buy a new lever and bend that so you have a back-up if it all goes titzup.

I don't have this problem on the SV, but on the Blade I can just rest my finger tip on the lever the span is so large. I searched for dog-leg levers everywhere I could think of - the only one I could find was for a Triumph Bonneville - needless to say it wouldn't have fitted.

So, I bought a new standard lever, warmed it up gently in a bowl of boiling water, (you can use a blow torch but have to be very careful or you'll end up with a liquid lever!), wrapped the whole thing in some fabric, put one end in a vice and pulled.

Took a couple of goes before I got it just where I wanted it - bend in very small amounts rather then backwards and forwards.

I was so happy with the result I did the brake lever to match. Now, despite the sensitivity of the FireBlade's clutch it's nice and smooth and I don't get an aching hand when stuck in town.
Old 02-05-05, 06:56 PM   #6
kinesin

IIRC PBx fitted a Kwak fully adjustable clutch lever to his SV. There was a link/article with pics and everything
Might be worth pm'ing him and having a chat
Old 02-05-05, 08:15 PM   #7
Haxsaw

I adjusted my clutch cable so there's about 10-15mm slack. The clutch still fully disengages but it means the lever doesn't return to the fully-out position, which I found made a lot of difference.
Old 17-05-05, 03:56 PM   #8
jim@55

Default adjustable levers

i think theres a piece on this on sv rider.com[american website]and it is a current kawasaki part . should do the job
Old 17-05-05, 04:13 PM   #9
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

IIRC PBx used a GPZ adjustable lever. I know he spent an age looking for one then as is always the case just happened to come across it, deffo give him a PM, cos otherwise you may be looking for some time.

ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-05, 11:27 AM   #10
PBx

Hi,

All the info you need is here
http://www.sv650.org/sv_faq.htm#adjustable clutch lever

Hmm URL marker appears a bit iffy - its in the FAQ's on the main site.

Paul