SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-09, 08:11 PM   #1
Thingus

Default Oxford Aquatex vs Oxford Stormex

Is the stormex worth the extra 30 quid? I know it's got lock holes and it's 100 degrees extra heat resistant, but is the Aquatex much worse?

If neither of them are worth it, can you reco a better cover?

Cheeeeers!
Old 04-01-09, 10:18 PM   #2
mattb200

Default Re: Oxford Aquatex vs Oxford Stormex

not sure on whats better out of those sorry.
I can say that I am just replacing my Stormex as after 4 years its starting to fall apart and the plastic is cracking. However during its use it has been a pretty good cover although it does suffer from 'drawing up water' if the cover touches the ground.

I thought i would try the R&G one that was rated as a Best Buy in last months Ride magazine. Mainly because its cheaper nothing to do with the name! ordered from ebay for 39.99 inc P&P. Will wait and see........

Last edited by mattb200; 04-01-09 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 10:22 PM   #3
Thingus

Another good one for the Stormex. Thanks for the info. I've checked last month's Ride and a few of them looked good, but my bike's being delivered in the next 2 weeks so i need to get on a cover asap

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-09, 10:26 PM   #4
Dappa D

i have an oxford rainex (is this the same as the aquatex?!)

and its perfect
Old 04-01-09, 10:43 PM   #5
Thingus

Going by prices alone the rainex is in-between the two.
I think the Aquatex is just basically a piece of material but i wanted to know if it was worth it.

Thanks for your help might just save me a bit of money.
Old 05-01-09, 12:18 AM   #6
SVDragRacer

I have the aquatex cover, 25 squids from J and S, works well, keeps out rain, dirt and the such like, you have to wait to put it on tho as its a plasticy material so it would probably melt against a hot exhaust. Clips that goes underneith the bike as well stops it lifting in the wind.
Old 05-01-09, 07:49 AM   #7
Thingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDragRacer View Post
I have the aquatex cover, 25 squids from J and S, works well, keeps out rain, dirt and the such like, you have to wait to put it on tho as its a plasticy material so it would probably melt against a hot exhaust. Clips that goes underneith the bike as well stops it lifting in the wind.
Great stuff that sounds good.
I just wondered, the specs on the Aquatex say that it's resistant to 150 degrees c, and the Stormex is 250 degrees c, will that difference be enough to put it on straight away or will i need to wait no matter what? (because of the exhaust)

Thanks
Old 05-01-09, 10:36 AM   #8
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I got the Stormex and think it's ace! It's quite thick and has a felt inner to protect the bike from scratches. You can throw it straight on after a ride, has clips underneath to stop it blowing away and as you say, the holes for the chain etc.

Woke up one morning before Christmas and the bike had been pushed/blown over onto it's right hand-side, the R&G crash bungs prevented the fairings getting smashed and there was hardly a scratch on them or the exhaust etc....I reckon the cover helped a great deal, seeing as it's quite tough and has the additional thickness of the felt inside.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:10 AM   #9
krhall

I too use a stormex, as previously said it can soak up water etc, but it is a really nice cover and goes straight on after I get off the bike with no issues. I don't want to be having to allow the bike to cool down first.

Was fine with the SV too, even though the full exhaust was touching the sides.

Good cover.
Old 05-01-09, 06:21 PM   #10
Thingus

Thanks guys, think i've made my choice. Much appreiated, the lot of you!