SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-10, 03:31 PM   #1
Miss_Undaztood

Default Smart TRE ?

Saw an item on eBay, listed for SV1000 and 650, called a Smart TRE mod, basically you solder a resistor in the wiring loom which is meant to make the bike nicer to ride, similar to the adjusting the TPS ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Smart-TRE-for-...item3a5a2f00c0

Just wondered if anyone had heard of this as the link in the listing on ebay takes you to an SV1000 forum.
Old 25-04-10, 03:33 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smart TRE ?

No point TBH, maybe couple of degrees difference. You on pointy or curvy? Makes it go to a richer fuelling map on pointy.
Old 25-04-10, 03:43 PM   #3
Miss_Undaztood

Ah, righto.

As yet, neither but i`ll probly get a nekkid pointy.
Old 25-04-10, 04:00 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
similar to the adjusting the TPS?
No, TPS adjustment is just that; an adjustment to take account of wear, like adjusting valves it's a periodic thing. A 'TRE' is intended to change the settings from standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
Just wondered if anyone had heard of this as the link in the listing on ebay takes you to an SV1000 forum.
Just the once or twice, yes.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-10, 04:21 PM   #5
Miss_Undaztood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
No, TPS adjustment is just that; an adjustment to take account of wear, like adjusting valves it's a periodic thing. A 'TRE' is intended to change the settings from standard.
No I meant the "mod" i`ve read about to adjust the TPS from the factory setting down to 1450rpm.
Old 25-04-10, 04:34 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Read the whole thread - it ISN'T a 'mod', Suzuki state the TPS should be set at a certain place, guess where that is? The TPS adjustment changes due to reasons I explained in that and other threads on the subject.

The display in 'Dealer Mode' is a voltmeter, (without numbers it's true, but the numbers are irrelevant), the centre line represents the voltage the TPS outputs at a given position - that position should be aligned with tickover, such that the fuelling and ignition systems will know where the throttle is at any other given position - all positions are referenced to a given voltage. The setting point is tickover for ease.

Many bikes have a TPS, ones with no display are set with a voltmeter, and usually at tickover - you get the tickover right and move the TPS until it's output is whatever the maker says.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 25-04-10, 05:01 PM   #7
Miss_Undaztood

Quote:
Read the whole thread - it ISN'T a 'mod', Suzuki state the TPS should be set at a certain place, guess where that is? The TPS adjustment changes due to reasons I explained in that and other threads on the subject.
Ok I stand corrected.
I know its an adjustment that wasn`t done in the factory or at the PDI when the bike was new, but used "mod" because the article I read states at the top :

" **Before undertaking this modification, I strongly recommend that you read the instructions through from start to finish & have them to hand during the process** "

Either way I just wondered about the TRE thing, which I won`t be bothering with when I get my chariot.

Last edited by Miss_Undaztood; 25-04-10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 25-04-10, 05:51 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Yes, I appreciate the title isn't accurate, but upon reading the thread* it will be apparent it isn't a mod and it is set correctly at the factory, the suggested figures are precisely what Suzuki specify.
However, due to factors that I refer to in said thread, its adjustment changes quite early in the life of the bike and then doesn't change so much or so often after that.

* Or at least the bits that matter anyway - there's a lot of less than useful posts in there.

Old 25-04-10, 06:09 PM   #9
Miss_Undaztood

Quote:
Yes, I appreciate the title isn't accurate, but upon reading the thread* it will be apparent it isn't a mod and it is set correctly at the factory, the suggested figures are precisely what Suzuki specify.
However, due to factors that I refer to in said thread, its adjustment changes quite early in the life of the bike and then doesn't change so much or so often after that.

* Or at least the bits that matter anyway - there's a lot of less than useful posts in there.
Oh I see ! So after the bike has been used a bit from new and bedded in, if everything is checked again it should be fine. Makes me wonder why the TPS adjustment isnt checked at the bikes first service then.
Old 25-04-10, 07:11 PM   #10
danf1234

gotta admit I am wondering that?