SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-13, 02:05 PM   #1
Pricey12

Question Exhaust rattle?

I seem to have a strange noise coming from my newly fitted exhaust system. It's a rattling type noise coming from the end can and is more noticeable when the engine is revved. I thought initially it may have been cam chain rattle but definitely seems to be coming from exit area of the end can and not the engine. Everything seems tight apart from what feels like a small leak on at the front header which I'll get looked at next week (can't imagine this is the cause). Any ideas what it could be? Maybe exhausts just sound different without a helmet on, but it definitely sounds odd.
Old 23-06-13, 02:14 PM   #2
otaylor38

Default Re: Exhaust rattle?

Is the baffle secure?
Old 23-06-13, 02:18 PM   #3
Pricey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaylor38 View Post
Is the baffle secure?
Baffle not in. The exhaust did come with one but isn't fitted.

Seems very strange as I can't really think what could be rattling inside an exhaust can. I thought it was only sound deadening material and a metal mesh in there. I've even checked the rivets on the can and they are fine.
Old 23-06-13, 03:12 PM   #4
Pricey12

Seeing as the exhaust is second hand I'm wondering if the packing as had it. The exhaust is in good nick cosmeticaly but I have no idea how many miles it has done. I'm guessing this could cause the inner metal tube to rattle against the exhaust sleeve when revved due to the vibration. Sound plausible?
Old 23-06-13, 06:26 PM   #5
stuR

I have had a rattle from a motad can that was new before, but as my freind had it sat for ages it wasnt in warranty. I guessed with mine the metal mesh had broke a weld or something
Old 23-06-13, 06:34 PM   #6
Pricey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuR View Post
I have had a rattle from a motad can that was new before, but as my freind had it sat for ages it wasnt in warranty. I guessed with mine the metal mesh had broke a weld or something
Could well be the case. To be honest it's only noticeable when the bike is revved in neutral. Under load it's either not there or you can't hear it.
Old 23-06-13, 09:54 PM   #7
otaylor38

Sort of taking it off, taking it apart and having a really good look about, i dont know what to suggest mate
Old 23-06-13, 10:52 PM   #8

Does it still have the metal guard on the link pipe at the bottom? The tabs that take the bolts can snap off pretty easily - then the bolt starts rattling around.
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-13, 07:58 AM   #9
Pricey12

Rode her to work today and I didn't even notice the rattle.

Have to pop the bike back to the mechanic on Saturday as seem to have a small leak at the front header so will ask them to check it over. Whatever it is doesn't seem to affect the rideability of the bike so even if the exhaust does need stripping down I can live with it for a while.

Thanks guys