SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-07, 04:02 PM   #1
plowsie

Default Pointless with a GSX-R 600?

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/promos/promo.php?id=000058

Well is it?
Old 30-05-07, 04:08 PM   #2
Skip
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointless with a GSX-R 600?

Not if thats what you really want - but yes it will probably be awful!
Old 30-05-07, 04:10 PM   #3
Rich
Mega Poster

Yeh pointless, im not sure it's exactly the type of bike for a newbie on a restricted license. Maybe good for born again riders, returning to a restricted GSXR for a few weeks could be a good thing to help them get back into it.

Apart from that its hard to see the point in spending that much money on a bike like that and have it restricted. Atleast the restricted SV gives you a taste of what the full power bike is like!
Old 30-05-07, 04:11 PM   #4
plowsie

actually this has sparked an idea off in my head. In what way are the GSX-R 1000's programmed with the 3 different settings? Is it BHP?
Old 30-05-07, 04:16 PM   #5
Rich
Mega Poster

Through the ECU i believe!!! Correct me if im wrong!!

The switch tells the ECU what settings to run the bike at!!
Old 30-05-07, 04:19 PM   #6
plowsie

"33bhp GSX-R this is PC Plod" sed the 18 year old clock at 140 mph on a GSX-R 1000.
Old 30-05-07, 04:36 PM   #7
Toypop

A lot of people just want a sports bike for the looks, image & association with sporting success and have no intention of riding it fast immediately if at all so I can see why many people would want it. A lot of people doing their test are not getting into it because they want to ride a Bandit or SV, they have seen sports bikes on TV and on the road and think it looks cool etc and want to do it themselves. I'm all for that because sports bikes get people interested and swells our numbers which means more bike shops and cheaper prices.

On the subject of the Gixxer Thou and its three settings - I just don't see the point. First time I rode a litre bike was in pouring rain and with the crap oem jap-built tyres on it and it was absolutely fine. The power delivery was far more predictable and easy to apply than that of a 600.

Anyway if Gixxer 600's start coming with restricters I can see loads of postings appearing on cage forums about how some tw*t in his Chavwagon reckons his bike his quicker than a sports bike cos he smoked one the other day!
Old 30-05-07, 04:50 PM   #8
Jelster

Good observation...

This country is obsessed with sports bikes, look at all the other EU countries and if you're lucky there may be one sports bike in the countries top 5 selling bikes. Here it's 4 out of 5, the remainder being the 1200GS

I too am a fan of sports bikes, but am trying to wean myself away from them and look at something a little more "practical".

A restricted GSXR600 would be just awful, and what's more, the difference when the restrictor is removed would be so great the rider could be in danger of hurting himself for the first couple of weeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toypop View Post
A lot of people just want a sports bike for the looks, image & association with sporting success and have no intention of riding it fast immediately if at all so I can see why many people would want it. A lot of people doing their test are not getting into it because they want to ride a Bandit or SV, they have seen sports bikes on TV and on the road and think it looks cool etc and want to do it themselves. I'm all for that because sports bikes get people interested and swells our numbers which means more bike shops and cheaper prices.
Old 30-05-07, 04:59 PM   #9
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster View Post
Good observation...

This country is obsessed with sports bikes, look at all the other EU countries and if you're lucky there may be one sports bike in the countries top 5 selling bikes. Here it's 4 out of 5, the remainder being the 1200GS
I don't have any official data at hand and can't be bothered to look for it right now, but we have that trend too... our top five will probably be R1, CBR whatever, GSXR wotsit, ZXR thingy, and eventually some other bike.
Old 30-05-07, 06:12 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

A restricted gsxr600...from what I've heard, they run like crap - not bottom end (unlike my SV) and all the top end has been taken away...

Matt