SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

East Anglian Revolution If you're based in East Anglia, then this could be for you.

Old 07-07-08, 06:59 PM   #1
Sean_C

Default Update..

I can safely say the sound of an SV with no end can is the best sound I have heard all year! That was until the viffer's alarm started squarking
Apparently it helps if you press the starter button and not the horn if you want to start the bike.

Just to let you know how I'm getting on..

I think that instead of a bike build bbq, it'd be a good idea to have a rideout, but definitely not a fast one This is mainly because we don't have a BBQ, apparently dad threw it away, instead of his viffer.

I've fitted a GSXR front end, which was surprisingly easy- the only bit that wasn't just bolt together was fitting the top bearings, which involved filing down the ledge for the top race.

I've ordered a Vapor and indicator dashboard thing for it, rearsets the same as Pete and Lissa's (which are taking forever), the things I have left to buy are brackets, headlight, indicators, tyres, mirrors and a fender extender.

I've got a few things to keep me busy though! When I tried fitting the mudguard I discovered that it helps if you have the forks on the right side so I've got to take them out and put them in the right way..

I've just spent a small fortune on paints so I can paint my front wheel silver to match the back- I'm not worried about a perfect colour match, the back wheel gets covered in crap anyway. I also have a hideously painted mudguard to spray black

The only slight niggle is that one of my brake discs has a couple of loose rivets on it, and I'm not sure if this can be sorted or not. One place has said "no but you can buy new ones from us for 250 quid!", so I'm taking it to another in the next few days to see.

Depending on whether or not the brake discs need replacing, I'm hoping to be on the road by august. If they need replacing it'll be mid august, hopefully.

So, that's where I'm at. How are you all?
Old 07-07-08, 07:05 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: Update..

Hey mate, glad to se you've been getting your hands dirty, the rideout i'm planning is on 9th-10th so get fixed up will ya! I have another SV so watch it (however, i had a mishap the other day )

Might want some pointers on doing the GSXR conversion if i carry on biking. If you need any help with the Vapor lemme know, I installed an Acewell to the CBR that was very cool But it looks like your all sorted and know what your doing
Old 07-07-08, 07:11 PM   #3
Sean_C

If you carry on biking?!

The only hurdle with the vapor is how i'm going to mount it. I could either weld a piece across the svs subframe, chop the rest off and mount it on that, or cut a piece of ally plate to go between the top yoke and clip ons and around the forks, then mount it to that. Should figure it out anyway.

Thanks for the offer, if things don't go well I'll give you a shout
Old 07-07-08, 07:19 PM   #4
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
If you carry on biking?!

The only hurdle with the vapor is how i'm going to mount it. I could either weld a piece across the svs subframe, chop the rest off and mount it on that, or cut a piece of ally plate to go between the top yoke and clip ons and around the forks, then mount it to that. Should figure it out anyway.

Thanks for the offer, if things don't go well I'll give you a shout
Get some renthals on it ya tart and do it that way
Old 07-07-08, 07:22 PM   #5
Sean_C

Then it'd be a fighter, not a cafe racer I like my clip ons
Old 07-07-08, 07:57 PM   #6
Seggons

Hi Sean. Really looking forward to seeing what has become of the bike and I'll hopefully see you on the next EAR rideout whenever it may be.
Old 08-07-08, 03:49 PM   #7
Skip
Mega Poster

Good to hear from you Sean - sounds like the bike is coming along nicely - I vote the next rideout should coincide with you return to the road if you fancy it

Me? Well I had a great trip to the Nurburging ring recently and have a trackday booked for the 4th August - other than that its been quiet on the biking front...

Not the best pic - but me "on the ring" (that sounds so wrong! lol)

Old 09-07-08, 10:31 AM   #8
petevtwin650

Hi Sean, sounds like you're really going for it. I was looking at Big Apes bike at the AR and the look of the front is so what I would call Cafe Racer. Hope yours has the same sort of feel.

Not much going on here. Same old, same old
Old 09-07-08, 10:57 AM   #9
Sean_C

I haven't seen bigape's, I'll have a look at the photos and see if i can find it.

Nice idea skip, I don't know how practical that is though now. I've been told today that I need new brake discs, which will delay everything a couple of weeks

Seggons, I hope it looks good, I'm putting some effort into it anyway
Old 10-07-08, 05:37 PM   #10
Mike2165

Nice one Sean, glad it's going ok..apart from the discs. Looking forward to an EAR rideout sometime.

Skip, your ring looks ok in the photo I got a trackday booked on 21st July, I'm doing the evening meet at Silverstone, I'll let you know how it goes.