SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-12-06, 02:04 PM   #1
grecian9

Default winter running advice wanted for poor SV with no garage

Hello - I've read a few posts about winter storage but thought I'd do another one as my situation is slightly different.

This is my first winter with a motorbike. Unfortunately it's parked on the pavement with a cheapo Oxford cover on it. I've noticed that now that it's colder it won't idle in neutral when I fire it up. It cranks up fine but then dies as soon as I stop blipping the throttle. Having do to a bump start in gear every time I want to set off is becoming a bit of a hassle. The bike got a brand new battery in the summer and was starting fine until it got cold.

I am intending on using it three or fourtimes a week in February when I go back to College over in Sheffield and I'm wondering if this problem will persist? Right now I only really ride it at the weekend.

The other worrying thing is that my brand new brake discs are starting to rust already!!! Getting a bike barn or shed is not an option at the mo, although getting a better cover could be. Got a cheapo one as I figured I wouldn't care if it got stolen or I burnt a hole in it with the zorst.

Any tips?
Old 10-12-06, 03:25 PM   #2
andyaikido

I've kept bikes outside over winter for years now but I commute on mine so it's used most days.

Personally, I don't think it's wise to leave a bike outside over winter if it isn't being used but if you've got no choice:

Give it a damn good clean and cover it in protective sprays or waxes to stop corrosion

Fill the tank to the brim to stop condensation forming in the tank

Take the battery off (if you've got an alarm and want to keep it active for insurance you'll have to leave this one out but don't expect it to start on the button in Feb)

Run the bike untill the fan kicks in every week or so to burn off condensation inside the engine and exhaust and move the bike around so the tyres aren't sat in one position

I did the above (except taking the battery off) for a month while I was banned and it was fine.

The rust on the brakes is no problem, it'll burn off when you use the brakes hard (probably sometime in March)

I'm guessing you've got a curvey so the idle problems could be carb icing or a knackered choke cable. Do a search for those you'll get loads of advice.

HTH

Andy
Old 10-12-06, 04:21 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If the idling problem is only when the engine is cold it will be the choke,and and the cables/plungers will need freeing off.Otherwise it could be the idle speed is set too low?As for the battery,you really need an optimate charger to keep it in good nick.Have you got access to somewhere to charge it every week or two?
Old 10-12-06, 05:09 PM   #4
Duck-man

I also have the same problem as you. ie. i don't have a garage so i have left my bike outside

I would put it in my room, but i live in flats! hahah!

Things that i am preparing to do for the good ol' Scottish winter:

Bought a good cover (http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/p...recnumber=2265) at about £40 its not cheap but its a damn good cover

Bought some ES 365 scotoiler winter spray and have just spent the afternoon cleaning the bike and then applying the stuff.

As for your idling problem i did have something similar when the bike was running at tick over at just over 1000RPM and actually stalled sometimes when I was changing down through the gears not good! But i have altered the tick over slightly to just under 1500rpm (when warm) and its fine

Its the wee dial knob on the left hand side (if its a curvy) and dead easy to do.

Hoe this helps

cheers
Old 11-12-06, 09:25 PM   #5
grecian9

So i've got a horrible confession to make. I've decided to put the bike into storage for 4-8 weeks. I'd only ride it once a week until the end of January so it might as well be in the dry for the other 6 1/2 days. Luckily my old man let me put it in his garage. Can't wait til i'm older and have a garage! Arrggh, listen to me, I'm nearly 30 and my aspiration is to have a garage!
Old 11-12-06, 09:36 PM   #6
MikeC

I'm 22 and my aspiration for a garage is close, but its the aspiration thats sad...as is the carpet for the floor