SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-02-11, 12:43 PM   #31
Andrew's

Default Re: sv touring two up?

An example of what alternative is available

http://www.abouttownbikehire.co.uk/

Do it in comfort I say. Even a maxi scooter will be better for all those miles...
Old 01-02-11, 06:29 PM   #32
badsaboy

we're tough Andrew. We'll do it with ease!
Old 01-02-11, 07:18 PM   #33
Bluefish

yeah you might find it a pain in the bum, literally, but as you are doing some test rides beforhand, you will know how far you can handle in one day, when are you planning on heading north?.
Old 01-02-11, 07:52 PM   #34
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Don't forget you will improve massively, first day will see 200 miles killing you (for example) but after 4 days you'll cover 400 no sweat.
Old 01-02-11, 10:25 PM   #35
badsaboy

We want to leave the about the 1st June.
Old 02-02-11, 10:49 AM   #36
Ceri JC

Default Re: sv touring two up???

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsaboy View Post
do you get raqcks for the front? Ive seen them on GS's. I wonder how the rear shoch would cope two up plus load?
Stock rear shock isn't great with 2 people. If it's newish and you're both light it shouldn't be too bad, but if it's wearing out and/or you're on the heavier side, it might be a bit dicey if you push it. Take it a lot easier than normal, expect slower acceleration and leave more stopping distance. Build it up gradually and you'lll soon get an idea of what it handles like and what you can get away with. Go for a shakedown ride (fully loaded) before you set off for Inverness and see what it's like.

In terms of the racks for the front; most people with GSes who do this have engine bars (as opposed to the crash bungs which are more popular on SVs) and mount bags to them. There are some brands of engine bar for the SV, that you could probably lash a pair of Kriega US-10 bags or similar to. If I was camping 2 up off the SV I'd go for throwover panniers, a rear rack with either a dry bag or top box on it AND a tank bag. I'd B&B it the first time; if you're struggling to carry the stuff for the two of you then, camping may be considerably harder.

That said; there are people here who've done 2 week camping trips two up on an SV. Depends on how much comfort when camping and handling when you're on the bike that you're prepared to sacrifice.
Old 02-02-11, 11:31 AM   #37
Roberrrrt

Me and the better half went two up on my curvy to Owenski's wedding this summer, three nights in b&b's, and all we had were some throw over panniers on loan from Paul_the_6th!! Bit tight for space, but managed it fine.

We found that having a proper bed to relax in each night was a must - thinking about a mini euro trip this summer and I've already been told by the missus that she can cope with going pillion, but that having to put up / take down a tent every day would take time & enjoyment out of it somewhat.

Plus, not taking camping gear leaves room for her straighteners I guess...
Old 02-02-11, 03:27 PM   #38
trail guru

If you're using soft panniers top boxes are essential for valuables 'cos you can lock 'em. I've carried all the kit on a tenting tour for two using Oxford Sports panniers, a 46 litre top box and a medium size tank bag. Bike was heavy to handle at very low speeds.
Old 02-02-11, 03:32 PM   #39
trail guru

AND.... a handy tip I picked up on a forum is always put the rain covers on. It keeps crap off (don't want dirty panniers in the tent/B&B etc), saves stopping when road gets wet, less likely to be interfered with when parked up.
Old 02-02-11, 03:35 PM   #40
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

TBH, I don't agree with either.
Valuables, just take your panniers off, put them in the tent with you (or take inside), easier than unpacking out in the rain. No need for topbox but maybe one would be useful.

Rain covers, bloody useless things, they can shred at prolonged 120mph speeds, they fall off, flap about like parachutes and are NOT 100% waterproof in monster downpours at speed. What you need to do is pack everything inside the pannier inside a plastic bag, you may get a bit of water in but it will drain out again without wetting your kit.