SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-05-09, 04:56 AM   #1
Jamiebridges123

Default Job/Career advice

Halp me I'm a newbie in need

So uhm yeah... I'm having a tough time jobwise.. I'm on an E2E course atm which is a load of bowwocks... Basically you have to work "at least" 16 hours a week, of which I've been doing 31, and you are rewarded with an awesome £30 a week. (Plus a £5 bonus occasionally but I never get it) Travel costs are covered but again I rarely get it.

Like holy shiznit batman that's a lot of money! Basically I do the same job as a paid employee yet I get no money for it.. It's gotten me down and I was supposed to work Tuesday and yesterday, but I called in sick.. I've lost motivation frankly.

Later today after my half a days training thing (part of this course), I'll pop in and talk to the Manager.. (fairly nice guy) and explain to him my problem and I'll also be telling him I won't be going in anymore.. I just can't keep doing it. I've lost motivation. It's a genuine struggle waking up in the morning. I'm not a lazy kid, I work my backside off and would happily do so but I'm sick of seeing a load of 0's in my bank account.

Which leads me on to the next issue.. I'm 18 in a week and will obviously sign onto the job centre plus thing which is like £96 every 2 weeks. However I'd then fall into my own stereotypical hatred of benefit claimers and would love to avoid this... I'm keeping my eyes peeled for jobs but that's not the big problem I have...

Basically, guys, my Mum thinks I should go to College or something (I have C grades across the board.. No revision + having taken an overdose at the time = bad bad bad), but I can't really cope in a classroom environment..I've never learnt much sat looking through books.. even more so not only would I have to go to College from say, 9-4, but I'd also be stuck with hours of coursework for projects and the like back at home, so basically it would be a 9-4 and then 6-10 job...

I'd personally rather get a job that gives you training (I don't really mind what..customer services, IT (pretty nifty at that) etc etc) so I can work and then get some qualifications while getting paid..

But yeah.. I'm stuck in a hole. Should I stick it out with the job hunting or should I enroll in college?

Sorry for the longish post but I'm out of ideas.
Old 14-05-09, 05:57 AM   #2
MiniMatt

Default Re: Job/Career advice

College.

(a) Delays the decision
(b) Most everyone there will be as poor as you so it won't matter
(c) More education in whatever subject always helps further down the line - there's a huge benefit both as a person and as a CV filler in education simply for the sake of education

Longer term, IT still ain't a bad move, just don't believe all the adverts for "average salary of £37k". Depends what area I guess, but basic education is still put to heavy use, I spend most of my time counting to 1, 16 or 256 - none of that was taught at school but school/college did teach a basic level of comfort in working with numbers that's put to use later on.
Old 14-05-09, 06:08 AM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Now is not the time to be getting out of education. What is an E2E course is that some kind of apprencticeship?

Seriously do not jack it in. In this climate you need to really stick at it and once the course is complete you will be in a much better situation. Or try and fine another apprenticship although this is very hard to do at the moment and at your age which is why I'm saying stick at it.
Old 14-05-09, 06:16 AM   #4
Demonz

Stick with what you have at the moment and see if there is scope to improve the situation a little bit whilst you look at alternative jobs. You clearly have some good written and PC skills which puts you ahead of a lot of people. Look at the service industries for more work perhaps in the evenings which will free your days up to train more or look at a better day job. Take it in steps but the most important thing is not to leave yourself unemployed for any period of time. If a new employer can see you are already working it is easier to get another job than if you are not working - it means you are more stable/ambitous, and clearly looking to move upwards and onwards.
Old 14-05-09, 09:37 AM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Exams, training and classrooms suck. Everyone hates it, but you've just got to grin and bear it.

How long have you left?
Old 14-05-09, 10:38 AM   #6
Holdup

If you dont think you can go through college then dont, im at college doing ICT end in June horrah and i am very poor at stciking to deadlines on assignments, ive now decided as well i dont want to do ict and i am currently looking for a mechanic aprenticeship, it may be harder than you think but you need to find what you enjoy and then stick at that.
Old 14-05-09, 11:06 AM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Righty-ho time to get stuck into these young whipper-snappers...........

To the OP

"I cant be bothered/get motivated" just wont cut it, drop out of your course and you are putting a black mark againest yourself. You are in a different situation to those you work with that are earning more, so you cannot realistically look at them and compare what they get with what you dont.

So, my advice to you, stick out the E2E, THEN once you have completed THAT challenge, then look around, but from a position of strength (completed the training).

Avoid College - sounds like you would be just as unhappy there as you are at the moment.

To Holdup

"I dont do deadlines", What do you think you will face everyday in your working life?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 11:26 AM   #8
Holdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post

To Holdup

"I dont do deadlines", What do you think you will face everyday in your working life?
I didnt say that...

When im at college or at home meant to be doin college work i get distracted (like now)

When im at work (either of my jobs) 1 of them cleaning i have 3 hours to clean and i always get it done unless asked to cover / help out else where

My other job im shop staff / bike washer and when a customer ask me something on the phone (old part etc) i will say ill ring you back in x amount of time as i cant look it up on the computer and its micro fiche jobey and i will always do it.

I think that is my problem all theory and no pratical at college and home and makes me bored so i do other stuff and miss deadlines whereas pratical i am much more likely to do it within the time given.

Sorry to take over your thread Jamie

Last edited by Holdup; 14-05-09 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 14-05-09, 11:29 AM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Not sure what I'd advise you to do but your about my age so I'll tell you what happened with me.
Finished my gcses with 11 Bs (might have been 10 I forget), got pushed into 6th form because I half wanted to go to uni and the school wanted the kids that'd get em good grades in... so they pretty much just told me to join and not consider anything else.
Got kicked out of 6th form after a couple of months and worked in a garage until I found an apprenticeship in ICT did that for a bit got some poxy qualification then got bored of being paid less than I was worth so went for my current job using the experience I'd gained from the past 8 months as an apprentice. Now been in my current job for just over a year; pays ok(ish...kind of) for my age and it's reasonably good work and when I get off my árse I should have the opportunity to do a degree.

If you want to be doing something real and making some money/ getting qualifications then I recommend it - but it is hard work.
That said I half wish I'd gone to college/uni just for the experience, I get the horrid feeling I've grown up too fast doing it this way (some will argue ...still retained my immaturity) but I'm already fed up, cynical and hate people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdup View Post
If you dont think you can go through college then dont, im at college doing ICT end in June horrah and i am very poor at stciking to deadlines on assignments, ive now decided as well i dont want to do ict and i am currently looking for a mechanic aprenticeship, it may be harder than you think but you need to find what you enjoy and then stick at that.
even mechanics have deadlines matey, it's not all drinking tea ripping off middleclass women in 4x4s and teararsing up and down the road on customers' bikes.

Last edited by Dave20046; 14-05-09 at 11:31 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09, 11:29 AM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdup View Post
Sorry to take other your thread Jamie
Well I guess I also owe you an apology for misunderstanding your meaning

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote