SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-07, 01:09 AM   #1
Grinch

Thumbs down Complete Electrical Failure.

And when I say complete, I mean complete (for about 5-15 minutes)... having just got in from pushing the bike alot of the way home.

Its a strange one this... and Helga is not a happy SV, so.

Riding along all happy as Larry, when it all goes mental. Lights flashing on a off, clocks wizzing back and forth, oil and temp lights a flashing. Then it stops... then starts doing it again, bike coughs and dies. Ignition on but nothing, nada.
So I sit there... odd, I thinks, turns everything off. Turns on ignition, all comes on. Starts bike, puts on lights, pulls away and gets five yards before it all fails. Tries again but this time I get no where.
Pulls seat off checks fuses, contacts, loose connections, and disconnects heated grips. But nothing... then suddenly she's back. Travels a mile and it all goes mental again. This seems to repeat, then I suss it... When I put main beam on or try to flash the passing light it all pops.

So as you can imagine I'm confused, managed to get most of the way home in the dark with my side light on, traveling in illuminated areas. Give the lights on more try just on the final road home, pop it all fails again. So pushing it I is while trying the ignition all the way, funny enough it don't light up again till I push it on the drive!

So anyone got any good pointer for places to look, I'm going to be a busy boy tomorrow by the looks of it and I was hopping to get sorted round the house tomorrow as PJ and Jax is home Tues.
Old 12-03-07, 01:19 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Complete Electrical Failure.

Well, funny enough, I had the exact same thing- that turned out to be a loose main fuse! Not that that's likely for yourself but it's going to be something along those lines I reckon, something actually coming disconnected. I'd still check the usual wiring chafe spots for shorts, but they'd usually just kill it, not be intermittant.

And obviously make sure the fuse is good, it might have blown off the back of your troubles...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 01:27 AM   #3
Grinch

Main fuse... ain't that down the side somewhere, as the ones under the seat are all fine and dandy.
Old 12-03-07, 01:30 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Yeah I'd go with what Andy said, you might alsohave a look at high tention arcing or (and I had one of these) the main control box plug needing pushing back on
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 01:34 AM   #5
Grinch

Ok, I'll try to find these things... now where did I put my manual again?
Old 12-03-07, 01:35 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
Main fuse... ain't that down the side somewhere, as the ones under the seat are all fine and dandy.
Yeah, it's in the wee green box just below the battery on the right hand side. It's in a bit of an awkward place, really, helps if you have nice ladyhands like mine
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 01:38 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
Ok, I'll try to find these things... now where did I put my manual again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Yeah, it's in the wee green box just below the battery on the right hand side. It's in a bit of an awkward place, really, helps if you have nice ladyhands like mine

How do you get the manual in there
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 01:59 AM   #8
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Good advice so far but might be your rectifier. I'll say check the battery is leads are secure then test the rectifier.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us

Last edited by 21QUEST; 12-03-07 at 02:00 AM. Reason: who wants to know ....?
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:53 AM   #9
kwak zzr

ive had this sort of problem with a car and it was a snapped main earth cable.
Old 12-03-07, 10:54 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

One of the main chaffing points is on the rear subframe. Pop the rear end off and check where the wires wind round the subframe.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote