SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-09, 01:13 PM   #1
r1ck

Default Numb fingers.

Hi all

I fitted some HyperPro progressive springs to my curvy SV last summer, and noticed that it seemed to increase (a lot) the vibration through the bars.

I only notice this on my right hand, presumably because I am gripping it more tightly to control the throttle, whereas the left hand is just loosely resting on the left clip on.

The bike's been off the road over winter but I went out for my first ride last night, and after about half an hour, two fingers on my right hand were completely numb. When i got home after about an hour, the fingers were white. The colour and feeling returned in about half an hour. The temperature was over 10C so this wasn't the problem, plus my left hand was fine.

The gloves I were wearing are a bit tight so this may have something to do with it. Also the bar end weights are non-standard aftermarket items, could this be a significant factor?

Has anyone else noticed the same problem to this extent, and have any suggestions?

Thanks for any ideas!

Rick
Old 13-03-09, 01:43 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Numb fingers!

Go back to the standard bar-end weights first (if you still have them) and see what differance this makes
Old 13-03-09, 04:36 PM   #3
r1ck

I dont have the old ones, they got smashed up.

Anyone noticed this when changing their springs / damping oil?
Old 13-03-09, 04:47 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I changed the oil in my Curvey and Liz has uprated springs in her pointy, I'ev ridden both bikes alot and neither made my hand numb like you are describing.

Not sure whats causing it in your case, but I'd try relaxing your throttle hand grip first. You dont need to wring its neck, just grip it enough so that the throttle stays where you want it to.

If your gloves are to tight that wont help either.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-09, 06:15 PM   #5
bskie2000

wheel balancing?
Old 13-03-09, 06:18 PM   #6
xXBADGERXx

Probably because you have been off for the bike for so long you have lost your "Condition" . Aftermarket poncy Bar-Ends are too light sometimes for an SV and don`t help to dampen the Vibration that can ripple through these , try to source some OEM ones or Chewy does some Stainless Ones that weigh a ton and will help reduce this .

I have also heard of a thing called a Bar-Snake for motorocross/naked bars which dampen it down a bit and they also do a liquid version for Clip-Ons as well
Old 13-03-09, 06:22 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
. Aftermarket poncy Bar-Ends are too light sometimes for an SV and don`t help to dampen the Vibration that can ripple through these , try to source some OEM ones or Chewy does some Stainless Ones that weigh a ton and will help reduce this .
was going to say, some stainless ones will certainly add some weight. I bought mine off two org members, although I've seen some pop up on ebay lately that appear the same.
As for the progressive springs, I'm pretty 100% certain they won't be the issue causing the vibes.
Being out of practise can cause alsorts, I am currently suffering from the muscle on the top of my hand, between finger and thumb swelling and turning blue, on the clutch hand, something I have never had on either of my Svs

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-09, 10:43 PM   #8
haggis

Default Re: Numb fingers.

I'd check your front wheel balance, maybe you've lost a sticky weight.

Mine hasn't been balanced since I put this tyre on and I do get circulation/numbness probs a lot. I really should do it!

Oh, and I dont have end weights on the renthal bars which probably isn't helping.
Old 13-03-09, 11:35 PM   #9
chompy

hi,

this happens to me, and its always my right hand, it because you have been off the bike and arent relaxing probably, after a while it will be better, and it its the right you went down on check that the clip on havent moved.

chompy
Old 13-03-09, 11:38 PM   #10
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
hi,
and it its the right you went down on check that the clip on havent moved.

chompy
It shouldn`t have moved as they are fixed underneath the Yoke by a cap head bolt .