SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-06-20, 06:11 PM   #1
gadget

Default Steering angle change

Hey all, I have an sv650s gen1 and was looking for a bit of advice as to what the effects of having the forks protruding through the top yokes by about 30mm (essentially lowering the front end)? The Reason I'm asking is this ... I am toying with the idea of replacing the standard clip ons with adjustable height clip ons that mount to the tops of the fork stanchions rather than below the top yoke.
The mounts are about 30-40mm in height necessitating the forks to protrude through the top yoke to mount them. Would steering be speeded up? Would stability be adversely affected? Any thoughts or advice? Hopefully based on experience.
Failing that ... does the naked top yoke fit the 'S' without any mods (possibly for the flat bars conversion)? Ideally all I want to achieve is a slightly more upright position without changing my bike.
Any info would be most welcome.
Cheers.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 07:11 PM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Steering angle change

30-40mm is a lot in terms of how it will affect handling. I'd expect it to be really twitchy. I had a rear shock that raised the back by 10mm and the bike became very sharp handling.
Maybe if you dropped the rear too it might balance out but then the bike will be sitting very low and you'll have no clearance on the pegs when cornering etc.

Standard thing to do is fit something like the Topyokes kit and Renthal bars. You'll need to re-route the throttle cables, fit longer brake hoses and longer clutch cable (from a Bandit irrc, can't remember the year off the top of my head but all this info is searcheable on this forum)
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 07:28 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

There is a limit to how far you can drop the yokes before they foul the front mudguard on full compression. I cant remember what that is but I think it is less than 30-40 mm.
Old 17-06-20, 07:47 PM   #4
wsmc549

That would make the handling super twitchy. I am in a similar situation with a taller shock. I am looking for fork cap extenders and you might want to do the same or just convert to bars vs clipons. I have gsxr forks so I might have more options than you but I do know some Harley guys use fork extenders. Not sure if those work or not but they have small diameter forks like the SV. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
wsmc549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 08:06 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

That's a quite a lot. Depends bike to bike but generally an inch is banded around as the max to do it.
I'd drop it 10mm, do a few rides on roads you know then drop 5mm then another 5mm . Don't forget to check sag each time.

Mine's quite low but I can't remember how much lower than stock.
Old 17-06-20, 08:06 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

People here saying 20mm is as much as they'd dare

https://www.svrider.com/threads/drop...-few-mm.42136/
Old 17-06-20, 08:48 PM   #7
gadget

Ok, that's what I was expecting tbh, it was a big ask.
Also... next option would be ... does the gen1 naked top yoke fit the gen1 'S' without any mods ? As this conversion give me the option of fitting raised but relatively flatter bars that would be more comfortable.
I am also thinking if the rise and bbbbend of the bars isn't too radical I could possibly get away with not having to change all the cables etc. I definatly don't want to cut/trim the fairing or screen at all.
Anyone done this conversion? And can give me details of exactly what has to be done please.
Thanks all for input and advice so far, much appreciated.
Old 17-06-20, 10:16 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Why don't you just fit raised clipons if it's for comfort?

That's what I have on mine.

Other option is helibars that lots of people used to do, I've just seen how much they cost and expect you'd want to avoid those!
Old 17-06-20, 10:23 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

there is no cheap option... 30mm lower and youll end up in the scenery.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-20, 07:11 AM   #10
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Why don't you just fit raised clipons if it's for comfort?

That's what I have on mine.

Other option is helibars that lots of people used to do, I've just seen how much they cost and expect you'd want to avoid those!
Yeah... seen the helibars, nice bit of kit but very pricey.
What raised bars have you fitted? Are they an after market part of an alternative oem part?
How much increase in rise have they made.