SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-20, 10:45 PM   #1
svenrico

Default definitions

Is there a list of definitions for the various terms people use for the different models of SV650 such as pointy, curvy etc ? How many different models of SV650 are there ?!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 06:49 AM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: definitions

Curvy - Old - Fugly
Pointy - Oldish - The proper SV.
Gladioli - Not quite as old, but a marketing mistake, so dropped. Fairly Fugly.
No idea what the new one is called. Jury is still out on the Fugly stakes.

Old 02-10-20, 07:18 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Curvy - the first GenSV, carb'd engine, aluminium frame with circular cross section members "S" model's fairing had soft, flowing lines (hence:"curvy")

Pointy - 2nd Gen, fuel injected engine (slightly more power), aluminium frame with rectangular cross section members. Riding position more extreme than previous models. "S" model's fairing was more angular (hence:"pointy)

As model years progressed on the Pointy, a second plug was added per cylinder, power increased slightly, colours were changed. A full fairing came and went.

Gladius - the SFV650, the aluminium frame was now history, pastel colours and a low seat height introduced. I suppose the styling was "swoopy", sloping headlamp, one piece dual seat. It was supposed to attract more lady riders but with name like "Gladys" and a bump in price it, more than anything, killed the SV popularity. (Gladius is a small sword, btw)

---interlude--- the Yamaha MT07 was introduced and took the mid size role away from the SV

SV650AL7 (and SV650L7 in US - offered with no ABS). Generally recognised as the bike that should have been built instead of the Gladius - shares quite a bit of that bike. Most powerful of SV range (by small margin) but also heaviest, meets Euro4 emissions. Testers like it but generally say that the Yamaha is superior.

Colours changed over the last couple of years and now uses Tokico brakes (finally dumping the Nissin). After clamours from the SV crowd for an "S" model the SV650X was introduced to be met with a chorus of "meh". It began to look like Suzuki were either running out of money or were intent on pulling the plug on the SV line (and we now have now seen the patent application for their new parallel twin).

Last edited by Seeker; 02-10-20 at 07:21 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 11:28 AM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Curvy - the first GenSV, carb'd engine, aluminium frame with circular cross section members "S" model's fairing had soft, flowing lines (hence:"curvy")

Pointy - 2nd Gen, fuel injected engine (slightly more power), aluminium frame with rectangular cross section members. Riding position more extreme than previous models. "S" model's fairing was more angular (hence:"pointy)

As model years progressed on the Pointy, a second plug was added per cylinder, power increased slightly, colours were changed. A full fairing came and went.

Gladius - the SFV650, the aluminium frame was now history, pastel colours and a low seat height introduced. I suppose the styling was "swoopy", sloping headlamp, one piece dual seat. It was supposed to attract more lady riders but with name like "Gladys" and a bump in price it, more than anything, killed the SV popularity. (Gladius is a small sword, btw)

---interlude--- the Yamaha MT07 was introduced and took the mid size role away from the SV

SV650AL7 (and SV650L7 in US - offered with no ABS). Generally recognised as the bike that should have been built instead of the Gladius - shares quite a bit of that bike. Most powerful of SV range (by small margin) but also heaviest, meets Euro4 emissions. Testers like it but generally say that the Yamaha is superior.

Colours changed over the last couple of years and now uses Tokico brakes (finally dumping the Nissin). After clamours from the SV crowd for an "S" model the SV650X was introduced to be met with a chorus of "meh". It began to look like Suzuki were either running out of money or were intent on pulling the plug on the SV line (and we now have now seen the patent application for their new parallel twin).
This

From right to left on the website banner at the top right

curvy full faired, curvy bit skint, curvy naked, 2004 (actually think 05 or 06 as it's black frame) onwards Pointy full faired, pointy naked, 2003 Pointy semi faired, Specimen: Gladiss
Old 02-10-20, 01:21 PM   #5
thedrewski86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Curvy - Old - Fugly

nailed it
thedrewski86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 08:46 PM   #6
svenrico

Thank you
Old 02-10-20, 08:54 PM   #7
svenrico

'--interlude--- the Yamaha MT07 was introduced and took the mid size role away from the SV'
Shouldn't have done in my opinion if the MT07 is anything like the example of the 700 Yamaha ( the 'scrambler' type version thing ) I took for a test ride (the shortest test ride ever ) Bloody awful thing, couldn't get off it quick enough.
Old 03-10-20, 08:00 AM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Shouldn't have done in my opinion if the MT07 is anything like the example of the 700 Yamaha ( the 'scrambler' type version thing ) I took for a test ride (the shortest test ride ever ) Bloody awful thing, couldn't get off it quick enough.
I had a long look over the new Tenere recently, what didn't you like about it?
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 11:49 AM   #9
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I had a long look over the new Tenere recently, what didn't you like about it?
It wasn't the Tenere, it was the XSR 700. The throttle/fuelling was abrupt/harsh , I just felt uneasy on the bike as if I wasn't in proper control. If it is any indication how bad I felt on it , I only went around the block on it and took it back to the dealer. I usually go about 20 miles or so on a test ride of a bike I am considering buying.
I don't know anything about the Tenere.
Old 05-10-20, 11:23 AM   #10
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Curvy - Old - Fugly

Suzuki certainly don't do the 2016+ SV styling any favours with the stock tail and exhaust, at least one dealer on ebay selling them brand new with a tail tidy and aftermarket can already fitted.

I'm really happy with the look of my 2018 AL8 after a raft of recent styling tweeks - still i'd be very interested to hear the jury's verdict if it turns out my bike is indeed fugly and i'm just deluded

Ditched:

Crashbars
Renntec rack,
pillion footrests,
stock "tail"
black plastic lower frame covers

Added:

Crash mushrooms
exhaust hanger & tail tidy ( 'cos still needed something to hang exhaust and number plate from )

Seat, screen and carbon exhaust were already in place last year.

EDIT I've also cut down my stock number plate, which of course always looks loads better if done right and is something easy to legally do if you have the benefit of a 1 in your registration. (When looking for an SV last year that was actually one of the more minor criteria that swung me in favour of my 18 reg bike compared to say. a 67 or 68 )

Last edited by Bike27; 05-10-20 at 11:53 AM.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote