SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-20, 09:25 AM   #21
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike27 View Post
I reckon you could be on to something with the black wheels comment SG. The frame finish is superb, the wheels not so much. black or graphite grey might be a future option.
Happy to help.
Old 06-10-20, 04:29 PM   #22
svenrico

Mine has blue wheels and they are staying that way !��
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 09:49 PM   #23
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Everytime I look at the MT07 all I see is that enormous catalytic converter/silencer box, most pictures of the Yam are shown from the other side. The AL7's cat and silencer looks far more balanced to me.
Must admit, I've never properly studied one in the flesh - mainly just seen pics, so was oblivious. Now I've found pics of the other side, yeah looks terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
My AL7 has the blue tank with big white stripe, black frame & wheels. Suzuki's wheel paint is dog-egg, whatever the colour. I really like the look of the Gen 3s: the MT-07 is too 'Transformers' for me and the XSR just looks like it was dragged through a breakers' yard backwards. Oddly, I like the MT-09's styling.

I do love the original half-faired FZ, though.
I probably broadly agree with all of that, though I was attempting irony when I suggested best mate "understands what a motorcycle should look like" as I don't remember a huge amount of praise for the rectangular headlighted FZ back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Mine has blue wheels and they are staying that way !
Hope you can keep them that way. The generally rough finish on the spokes and wheel centres of my 2018 AL8 is ideal for getting dirt ingrained, (so on the assumption yours is the same) bluey / browny / grey will probably be easily achieved and much harder to remedy if you're not careful.

For that reason I'd already toyed with the idea of getting them powder coated at some point as a much better finish is guaranteed and black is always a strong contender on any bike (so much easier than trying to get a colour match to the frame in the case of my SV).

Quote:
It's all a matter of opinion of course but I can't stand so called tail tidies which spoil the look of any bike I think.
I'm not crazy about them either, but generally consider them the lesser of two evils, as I consider sticking the number plate a foot out of the back of the bike on some weird sort of reverse beak does a pretty good job of spoiling alot of bikes straight out of the factory.
I suspect I'm not alone in this, hence the relatively modern phenomenon of the roaring trade in "tail tidies" . I would FAR rather manufacturers just tucked the number plate under the rear light like they generally did through most of the 70s / 80s / 90s.....

To take a bike launched the year before I started riding in 1986 (and still made today) The GSXR750:

2003 GSXR750 :

Number plate neatly and unobtrusively tucked under the rear light, in a manner pretty similar to all of the previous GSXRs going back to 1985. I mean why would you ever even consider doing anything else?

2015 GSXR750

WTF??

Last edited by Bike27; 06-10-20 at 09:52 PM.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 10:02 PM   #24
svenrico

'Number plate neatly and unobtrusively tucked under the rear light, in a manner pretty similar to all of the previous GSXRs going back to 1985. I mean why would you ever even consider doing anything else?'
Yes, but they had more bodywork and more of a mudguard over the rear wheel then, but I agree , bring that back. It's the current fashion of having nothing much over the rear wheel that is the problem. Use that space over the rear wheel and have some storage space as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-10-20, 10:36 PM   #25
Bike27

Quote:
'Number plate neatly and unobtrusively tucked under the rear light, in a manner pretty similar to all of the previous GSXRs going back to 1985. I mean why would you ever even consider doing anything else?'
Yes, but they had more bodywork and more of a mudguard over the rear wheel then, but I agree , bring that back. It's the current fashion of having nothing much over the rear wheel that is the problem. Use that space over the rear wheel and have some storage space as far as I am concerned.
Fair comment.

Ditching the tail actually also saved some weight (about half a Kg), which was another reason it felt worth doing to me (in conjunction with some other weight reductions). Depends what you are used to I suppose, having done most of my riding since 2004 on KTM singles, I'm used to bikes around 40Kg lighter !
Old 07-10-20, 05:49 AM   #26
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike27 View Post
I'm not crazy about them either, but generally consider them the lesser of two evils, as I consider sticking the number plate a foot out of the back of the bike on some weird sort of reverse beak does a pretty good job of spoiling alot of bikes straight out of the factory.
I hate the number plates "onna stick". I even prefer the number plates on the tiny mudguard on some bikes. People will tell you because it's for Euro regulations, but in reality it's because manufacturers have been making the back-end of bikes smaller and smaller over years. I'd rather have a bit of a boot myself!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 01:26 PM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

My AL7 has blue tank with white stripe and black wheels, I could have had blue wheels but black is easier to keep looking decent. I like the slightly later ( mine is 2016 ) model with red frame though.... think it really makes bike look better.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 04:35 PM   #28
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I hate the number plates "onna stick".
I give you the Yamaha YZF R125:

Quote:
It's all a matter of opinion of course but I can't stand so called tail tidies which spoil the look of any bike I think.
I'm guessing that this little sporting Yamaha wasn't uppermost in your mind when you said that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
People will tell you because it's for Euro regulations, but in reality it's because manufacturers have been making the back-end of bikes smaller and smaller over years. I'd rather have a bit of a boot myself!
I seem to remember reading years ago it was due to a German law that said the number plate has to be within a certain distance of the rear axle (or summat) . Personally I suspect legislation is involved somewhere as I cannot for the life of me fathom why on earth else Yamaha would make such an otherwise sleek looking sports 125 and then add that utterly ludicrous tail
Old 08-10-20, 07:56 PM   #29
svenrico

'I'm guessing that this little sporting Yamaha wasn't uppermost in your mind when you said that???'
As I said earlier ' It's the current fashion of having nothing much over the rear wheel that is the problem.'
More bodywork and more of a mudguard would be better ,but removing what little is there for a so called 'tail tidy' doesn't improve matters , in my opinion. (but as I usually say -people can do what they like with their own bikes )
Old 08-10-20, 08:23 PM   #30
Bike27

Quote:
'I'm guessing that this little sporting Yamaha wasn't uppermost in your mind when you said that???'
As I said earlier ' It's the current fashion of having nothing much over the rear wheel that is the problem.'
More bodywork and more of a mudguard would be better ,but removing what little is there for a so called 'tail tidy' doesn't improve matters , in my opinion. (but as I usually say -people can do what they like with their own bikes )
You also said you think "tail tidies" spoil the look of any bike, which suggests you think a tail tidy would spoil the look of the YZF R125. Was just curious if that is what you actually think on this particular bike, that removing that long downwards angled plastic "pole" that attaches the numberplate to the bike would actually look worse than keeping it there........