SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-20, 05:53 PM   #41
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: definitions

RE the tail tidy, i think it depends on your Bike's main use. If it's a toy, you probably will prioritise form over function, and if its a commuter bike the opposite will apply.

I ride my bike (not an SV) in all weathers, and it does/did get used frequently for commuting. The tail tidy/number plate holder prevents a lot of spray being kicked up the rear of the bike. Which not only helps in keeping the mess down, but also in terms of visibility in poor weather/road conditions too.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 06:56 PM   #42
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
RE the tail tidy, i think it depends on your Bike's main use. If it's a toy, you probably will prioritise form over function, and if its a commuter bike the opposite will apply.

I ride my bike (not an SV) in all weathers, and it does/did get used frequently for commuting. The tail tidy/number plate holder prevents a lot of spray being kicked up the rear of the bike. Which not only helps in keeping the mess down, but also in terms of visibility in poor weather/road conditions too.
I didn't understand what people were talking about form/function/protection - but I get it now it's about spray?

I really don't think a lower numberplate and a few mil of plastic make that much odds - tail tidy or no tail tidy - I'd be fitting a rear hugger.
Your numberplate shovel isn't exactly protecting your shock or linkage from spray is it.
Old 12-10-20, 10:37 AM   #43
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
One of the things I liked about my VFR was the amount of protection the back end gave.
Yes, not keen on the look of the exhausts up there though (potential to gas the pillion rider as you wait at traffic lights as well !!!)
ps a bit tongue in cheek .

Last edited by svenrico; 12-10-20 at 10:39 AM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 01:28 PM   #44
Bike27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
One of the things I liked about my VFR was the amount of protection the back end gave.
To my distinctly novice eye (never been interested in militaria) those VFR exhaust cans look rather gun like.

I don't suppose you are talking protection Mad Max style?

YOUTUBE LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjS5...l=indicatorRSI

Last edited by Bike27; 12-10-20 at 01:31 PM.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 02:37 PM   #45
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Mine had different pipes that looked more like cannons than guns
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 03:36 PM   #46
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I didn't understand what people were talking about form/function/protection - but I get it now it's about spray?

I really don't think a lower numberplate and a few mil of plastic make that much odds - tail tidy or no tail tidy - I'd be fitting a rear hugger.
Your numberplate shovel isn't exactly protecting your shock or linkage from spray is it.
For me it is - as it flicks out the back?up the rear of the bike. Not a lot get flung forwards towards the shock.

The issue with a Hugger is that it creates vortices as it sits so close to the wheel/tyre that can make it even dirtier/messy around the swingarm and surrounding areas, then not having one at all . . .

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 04:02 PM   #47
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
For me it is - as it flicks out the back?up the rear of the bike. Not a lot get flung forwards towards the shock.

The issue with a Hugger is that it creates vortices as it sits so close to the wheel/tyre that can make it even dirtier/messy around the swingarm and surrounding areas, then not having one at all . . .
Yes, huggers ,as the name implies, sit too close to the tyre and muck tends to fly over the top or out the sides as you suggest. They do protect the shock to some extent though I think.
Old 12-10-20, 04:09 PM   #48
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post

A hugger is 'supposed ' to have a different purpose ,stopping spray being thrown forwards off the wheel and up under the seat, from the rear mudguard holding the number plate ,which 'should' stop spray being drawn up the back of the bike. I had a 900 Yamaha Diversion which had an extension down below the number plate and when I removed it it made a lot of difference in the amount of muck that was thrown up the back of the bike. I soon put it back on again.
Old 12-10-20, 04:33 PM   #49
yokohama

Someone should tell Yamaha engineers what huggers are supposed to do. The XSR900 has a minimalist one which reaches about halfway between the shock and the top of the tyre. This means the underside of the seat, where in their wisdom they decided to put the seat lock keyhole , gets absolutely covered in crud.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 04:42 PM   #50
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Someone should tell Yamaha engineers what huggers are supposed to do. The XSR900 has a minimalist one which reaches about halfway between the shock and the top of the tyre. This means the underside of the seat, where in their wisdom they decided to put the seat lock keyhole , gets absolutely covered in crud.
It's the fashion for minimalist appearance with everything that is the problem. Otherwise why stop the front mudguard so short on the current SV650A so that the front of the engine is obviously going to get splattered with muck from the road ! I am sure they could design bikes to provide more protection from road spray and still look good.