SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-20, 05:04 PM   #1
gadget

Default Curvy 'S' extended fork caps a good solution?

Hey all, I have seen much conflicting reports, opinions and advice regarding fork extenders especially those as fitted to choppers etc in order to extend the forks by a more than just a few mm, some are clearly ridiculous lengths.
The reason why I would like advice and opinions is this.... I had the idea of dropping the yokes by about 5mm at first to help speed up the steering on my curvy 'S' as imo it is a little slow steering for my riding style.
At the same time I would like to refit the clipons above the top yoke hence the possible fitment of fork cap extenders. So after eyeing up the clipon clamp it seems to be about 35-40mm ish. So the extenders would only have to be about 35mm tall which would pretty much be the sole support and complete clamping distance for the clipon. (Ie ... 5mm of original fork and 35mm of extender)
Any thoughts if this configuration would be able acceptable mod or would it be an accident waiting to happen?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-20, 07:07 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy 'S' extended fork caps a good solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Hey all, I have seen much conflicting reports, opinions and advice regarding fork extenders especially those as fitted to choppers etc in order to extend the forks by a more than just a few mm, some are clearly ridiculous lengths.
The reason why I would like advice and opinions is this.... I had the idea of dropping the yokes by about 5mm at first to help speed up the steering on my curvy 'S' as imo it is a little slow steering for my riding style.
At the same time I would like to refit the clipons above the top yoke hence the possible fitment of fork cap extenders. So after eyeing up the clipon clamp it seems to be about 35-40mm ish. So the extenders would only have to be about 35mm tall which would pretty much be the sole support and complete clamping distance for the clipon. (Ie ... 5mm of original fork and 35mm of extender)
Any thoughts if this configuration would be able acceptable mod or would it be an accident waiting to happen?
Weirdly someone else was asking a very ismilar question recently, not sure what they ever did.

It would probably be fine, but I'd be a bit uneasy about it.
How tall are you? Why not get a proper rear jack-up kit?
Old 13-10-20, 07:35 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Weirdly someone else was asking a very ismilar question recently, not sure what they ever did.

It would probably be fine, but I'd be a bit uneasy about it.
How tall are you? Why not get a proper rear jack-up kit?
It's not for the seat height tbh, I'm 6ft1, I just want to quicken up the steering and fit clipons on top of yoke to take some pressure of the wrists/arms n shoulders, kind of killing two birds .. one stone.
Old 14-10-20, 12:01 AM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

If the clip-on is clamped predominantly on the extended top cap (35 out of the 40mm for example), there will be precious little to stop the clip-on unscrewing the cap. The std clip-on has a security bolt through a tab into the underside of the top yoke which prevents rotation round the stanchion. If you could configure something similar it might be feasible, but be cautious.

I fitted modified FJ1200 clip-ons to my curvy S. You need to grind away some metal (steel forgings) from the riser part to go past the yoke boss, and I fitted them reversed left/right to get the right position. This raises the bar significantly while leaving them clamped on the stanchion under the yoke. I also welded on a security tab to replicate the original, and of course it needs a threaded pad on the right for the brake reservoir. Not a simple conversion but do-able if you have the facilities.
Alternative bolt-on bar conversions would be a lot simpler even if pricey.
Old 14-10-20, 07:43 AM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
It's not for the seat height tbh, I'm 6ft1, I just want to quicken up the steering and fit clipons on top of yoke to take some pressure of the wrists/arms n shoulders, kind of killing two birds .. one stone.
A rear jackup kit would quicken the steering. My thinking was you could do that (safely!) and also fit the clipons but I forgot you were 'nicking' some stanchion for the clipons by dropping the forks. Wrists may be more of a problem only jacking the back.

I'd look for raised clipons/high clipons and jack the rear.
Old 14-10-20, 08:16 PM   #6
gadget

Thanks for the replies peeps, some good points mentioned there.
Just wanted a second/third opinion on the mod, probably not the best solution tbh.
The alternative solution is to weld up the bottom of the spare 'S' yoke I have and then weld the risers to the yoke, then I can get busy with the dremel afterwards!
I have some 22mm copper tube and a pipe bender so I can bend some tube n Get an idea as to ideal fitment of the bars I need for comfort/clearance.
Btw ... anyone know the measurements of the risers on a naked yoke (centre to centre) or inside edges of the risers either side of the centre nut?
Cheers.