SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-09, 12:03 PM   #1
Baph

Default Overtaking & white lines (again)

I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in Idle Banter, but hey ho... I apolgise profusely if I got it wrong.

I had an important meeting to go to today, and got ready a little late - naturally the bike was the choice of transport as I was running late.

So I'm riding pretty hard, not as aggressively as I have before, but pushing hard, overtaking left/right/centre. Though the only law I'm aware of bending would be speed.

I fly up the dual carriageway, round a couple of roundabouts, overtake some more cars, and then, three cars back, flashing blue lights from an unmarked car. Bugger. Indicator on before he's even overtaken the cars, because I *know* he's coming for me.

I then pulled over, engine off, swore a lot, and started walking to his car (I'd actually out braked him to pull over - hehe). I was going into it with the attitude of "OK, fair play, give me a ticket & let me on my way, I know I was naughty and shouldn't ride in a rush, but I did."

Instead, he opens with "I've stopped you for the solid white lines, I've no clue what speed you were doing because I couldn't keep up. You overtook twice at solid whites, and I couldn't let you carry on like that." (insert silent whistle to myself at this point) So I replied "I didn't cross any white lines did I?" I know I didn't, and I also know it's not strictly illegal to overtake so long as you don't cross them. "No, but that's not the point, solid white lines mean no overtaking, not no crossing." (at this point, a sly smile to myself). So I apologised profusely for being wrong (I wasn't going to argue, I was already late for my meeting), and he let me off with a warning. He didn't even bother looking at the bike, or asking my name for a PNC (and he wouldn't of had time to get one before stopping me).

So, just so that everyone knows, some cops out there believe that bikes aren't allowed to overtake when there's solid white lines, even if you don't cross them!!
Old 13-10-09, 12:08 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Overtaking & white lines (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Instead, he opens with "I've stopped you for the solid white lines, I've no clue what speed you were doing because I couldn't keep up. You overtook twice at solid whites, and I couldn't let you carry on like that." <snip>
If those were his actual words, then I rather think the highlighted parts were the reason he stopped you. If you did not cross the solid whites, then you have committed no offence and he knew it.

However, once again Baph 'gets away with it'!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-09, 12:09 PM   #3
Razor

you stopped? you wuss...
Old 13-10-09, 12:13 PM   #4
markmoto

just goes to show once again, alot of coppers dont even know the laws they are meant to enforce..
Old 13-10-09, 12:15 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototech View Post
just goes to show once again, alot of coppers dont even know the laws they are meant to enforce..
Agreed, not complaining though
Old 13-10-09, 12:17 PM   #6
sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I've no clue what speed you were doing because I couldn't keep up.
you should just said ok cya! and done one at this point

better still out brake him while hes behind you and shoot off just before he hits you, then you have reason to ignore him, hes driving without due care
Old 13-10-09, 12:19 PM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
If those were his actual words, then I rather think the highlighted parts were the reason he stopped you. If you did not cross the solid whites, then you have committed no offence and he knew it.
Those were his exact words, and I was expecting the stop because of speed. But he was held up behind traffic (I hadn't come past him at a stupid speed, just enough to get past) whilst I was free to accelerate. He'd of known I was above the speed limit, but he wouldn't of been able to prove by how much.

The look on his face when i said about me not crossing the white lines told me he knew that I knew I'd have to cross them to commit an offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
However, once again Baph 'gets away with it'!
Oh, you can also add my stop on the M62 last night. That was in the car though, so I'm not sure it counts. Sat in the back of a police 4x4 for 5mins, then advised to accelerate up to speed then rejoin the motorway.

It seems my quota of karma gets saved up for the times I get stopped by police.
Old 13-10-09, 01:01 PM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototech View Post
Regrettably so...

Matter of interest Baph what sort of unmarked car was it, are we talking CID runabout here or a proper big traffic type vehicle?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-09, 01:43 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Matter of interest Baph what sort of unmarked car was it, are we talking CID runabout here or a proper big traffic type vehicle?
Black Skoda Octavia, on a fairly new plate. Uniformed officer, but didn't look like a traffic guy (I've met enough of them to tell the difference). He wasn't CID either (I've met enough of them too!).

I know NWP traffic unit does use Octavia's. But can't swear to this being one of them. Had lights in the grill and rear bumper - nothing in the windows from what I remember.

Come to think of it, he wasn't wearing his kit vest actually.

I usually spot unmarked cars a mile off, but I was rushing today, so wasn't paying as much attention as I normally do.

Quite lucky really, as if it'd of been a traffic officer, they'd of at least had a look at the bike - and noticed the broken indicator amongst other things.
Old 13-10-09, 01:55 PM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

So what bike? now that the SV's gone.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote