SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-10, 08:40 PM   #1
kellyjo

Default Charging issue.

I have read many battery/ reg rec posts on here including Nadines super-thread but i'm still not sure whats going on so please help....

My bike is a 2000 sv650s with 37k miles and a datatool alarm, and ive owned it since last May.

Towards the end of the summer it had intermittent starting trouble so it's been on a trickle charger through winter, ridden regularly (100 miles yesterday no problem) and always started first time like that... until today.

I rode 50 miles, then stopped for an hour then rode about 60 more and stopped again, lights on all the time as that is how i ride. Except after the second stop it was immediately obvious the bike wasn't starting. Thankfully the EAR lads were on hand to bump start it, i rode 15 further miles (lights off) before having to stop to re-fuel, after which it started fine!!

I've just been out with the multi meter, having recharged the battery, and got the following readings:

Battery off the bike 13.08v
Battery on the bike at idle speed 13.40v
Battery at 4k rpm fluctuating between 8 and 9v!!!

(All wiring looks ok to my uneducated eye.)

From what i've read it shouldn't be below 12v so obviously my bike has issues. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the battery is fine as it is charging, please confirm that it's a new reg/rec i need.

Thankyou xx
Old 07-03-10, 08:59 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Charging issues...

You need to check the alternator output as well.That is the AC voltage across the three yellow wires that come out of the alternator and go to the reg.Check them 1&2 2&3 and 1&3.All should produce similar readings of about 70 volts engine running at about 4000 RPM.
Old 07-03-10, 09:05 PM   #3
Haluk

Exclamation Re: Charging issues...

I would also consider removing the alarm altogether if it is temperamental. You don't really need it on a '00 machine. It is just another gadget to drain the battery.
Old 07-03-10, 09:17 PM   #4
petevtwin650

Almost certainly a Reg/Rec. Why not take Jeffs off and try that? Just check the electrical plugs are the same before you take his off though, as your's may just have the early type.
Old 07-03-10, 09:27 PM   #5
kellyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Almost certainly a Reg/Rec. Why not take Jeffs off and try that? Just check the electrical plugs are the same before you take his off though, as your's may just have the early type.
What a splendid idea, and so obvious aswell!! I'll consult Haynes to work out where it is for a start then whip it off, cheers Pete x
Old 08-03-10, 02:30 PM   #6
kellyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
You need to check the alternator output as well.That is the AC voltage across the three yellow wires that come out of the alternator and go to the reg.Check them 1&2 2&3 and 1&3.All should produce similar readings of about 70 volts engine running at about 4000 RPM.
Alternator output is fine, all readings around 70 volts. New reg/rec has been ordered! Thanks for all your replies x
Old 08-03-10, 02:52 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haluk View Post
I would also consider removing the alarm altogether if it is temperamental. You don't really need it on a '00 machine. It is just another gadget to drain the battery.
An alarm will not 'drain' the battery. If the electrical system is faulty fix it - ridiculous to blame the alarm.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 03:02 PM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Charging issue.

I have a suspect reg rec at the moment on one of my bikes.

I use one battery between two SVs, no point having two, can only ride one at a time.

I started noticing that it got more difficult to start after a few nightshifts last year, I particularly took note at how the lights dipped when revved whilst idling. It was very significant. It refused to start one day as the battery was completely dead.

I know its not the alarm as its never ever been an issue.

I know its not the battery as it has been used on the other SV since, and hasn't died a death over winter, as after three months without even touching it, the bike started pretty much as it should do(with no petrol in the carbs it takes a little more persuasion. It drained on the one with the suspect reg rec

As Pete says, if you have a mate who has a reg rec, borrow it, or take note of the meter readings off theirs. When I can be bothered I will be swapping mine over(2 SVs does have its uses ), to double check its the reg rec, before going to buy a new one.

Not that either bike is going anywhere anyway!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote