SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 18-10-13, 10:05 AM   #31
Runako

Default Re: Tyres for track and road.

You'll probably get more mileage from the PR's.
Old 20-10-13, 06:18 AM   #32
Runako

So I went riding in mixed weather today in south wales. PP3's fitted and as mentioned these have done about 5/6k. I'm particularly hard on the tyres and really pushed it in both dry and wet today. Firstly, you will apparently get a lot more mileage from the PR3's and its said to be the absolute best wet weather/mixed tyre for the SV (I've never had them but everyone who runs them says the same thing).

But the PP's were excellent in these mixed conditions today, i.e. where its dry but the road is still a bit slick/wet. The grip was just fantastic and the bike behaves as normal. It transitions great from this slick to dry and you can then push on fine in the dry. I did manage to get the rear sliding today so after 6k and hard riding it can start to lose grip a little especially on hard downshifts/braking. But it remained solid for the most part.

Then I encountered a deluge on the way back. Obviously you have to back off a lot and, apart from the dangers of drifting on to any road lines or markings, it was incredible how much grip it had in the full wet. Smooth, hard acceleration was not a problem and braking was also solid (bear in mind I'm running a Gixxer front end).

I came back pretty quickly to get out of the rain and not once did I have a hairy moment, although like all tryes it does not love the muck you'll get underneath tree cover at this time of year (which always seems to be in a bloody corner) so had to take it steady and watch out for this.

I would definitely recommend this for anything near 30% track 70% mixed road riding. If doing more road than this then perhaps PR3's would be better.

Last edited by Runako; 20-10-13 at 06:21 AM.
Old 20-10-13, 11:33 PM   #33
Ratty

Looking forward to running MPP3's at Oulton on Friday after 27 trackdays on MPP 2CT's. Will feed back on here soon as I can.

Ratty
Old 21-10-13, 05:04 PM   #34
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Looking forward to running MPP3's at Oulton on Friday after 27 trackdays on MPP 2CT's. Will feed back on here soon as I can.

Ratty
According to Michelin this is what you will get over the 2ct's (hopefully)
Old 29-10-13, 08:37 PM   #35
Ratty

As promised, here is some feedback on the Pilot Power 3's in varied conditions at Oulton Park. Basically the tyres were better in the wet than the 2CT's, giving more confidence for me, which in turn felt like I was getting better grip. The camera bike is a GSXR750K5 track bike running full wets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQi-Bdxck0

In the dry they felt pretty much exactly the same as new 2CT's. The first couple of laps of this next clip of the SV were filmed from a GSXR750K7 on Racetecs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnDt31ekAs

Hope this helps.
Ratty
Old 29-10-13, 09:25 PM   #36
chris SVK3

Just had an email from m&p for pilot powers for £129 front and rear anyone know if there is a big difference between these and power 3's
Old 21-01-14, 06:11 PM   #37
JulesW

My Tyres are selling Michelin Pilot Power 3 for:

Front 120/60 ZR17 TL 55(W) M/C £92.50
Rear 160/60 ZR17 TL 69(W) M/C £124.10

website here: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl

Might save you a few quid
Old 21-01-14, 06:20 PM   #38
JulesW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
So I went riding in mixed weather today in south wales. PP3's fitted and as mentioned these have done about 5/6k. I'm particularly hard on the tyres and really pushed it in both dry and wet today. Firstly, you will apparently get a lot more mileage from the PR3's and its said to be the absolute best wet weather/mixed tyre for the SV (I've never had them but everyone who runs them says the same thing).

But the PP's were excellent in these mixed conditions today, i.e. where its dry but the road is still a bit slick/wet. The grip was just fantastic and the bike behaves as normal. It transitions great from this slick to dry and you can then push on fine in the dry. I did manage to get the rear sliding today so after 6k and hard riding it can start to lose grip a little especially on hard downshifts/braking. But it remained solid for the most part.

Then I encountered a deluge on the way back. Obviously you have to back off a lot and, apart from the dangers of drifting on to any road lines or markings, it was incredible how much grip it had in the full wet. Smooth, hard acceleration was not a problem and braking was also solid (bear in mind I'm running a Gixxer front end).

I came back pretty quickly to get out of the rain and not once did I have a hairy moment, although like all tryes it does not love the muck you'll get underneath tree cover at this time of year (which always seems to be in a bloody corner) so had to take it steady and watch out for this.

I would definitely recommend this for anything near 30% track 70% mixed road riding. If doing more road than this then perhaps PR3's would be better.
Runako, many thanks for the PP3 comments, you've inspired me to try a pair. I think I've found a good deal at My Tyres who sell a pair for £216.50.

If anybody knows where they can be had for less please let me know asap as I will be ordering these in the next few days.