SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-01-17, 10:26 PM   #11
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Disabled Badge Misuse

You MUST NOT park in parking spaces reserved for specific users, such as Blue Badge holders, residents or motorcycles, unless entitled to do so.

I like rule 241 of the Highway Code. Some slob parked their car in a motorcycle bay when I wanted to use it, only a parking attendant was near by. Shame.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-17, 12:40 AM   #12
embee
Mega Poster

...and remember, it is a CRIMINAL offence to misuse a Blue Badge, not just a tut tut don't be naughty offence
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sibilities.PDF

Interestingly (I wasn't aware) the Blue Badge also gives you similar rights in the rest of Europe .......for now anyway. Just another thing to be sorted out.
Old 31-01-17, 10:44 AM   #13
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Um maybe worth applying for a Blue badge then.
Where's my stick......
Can you use a bike freindly version that's attached or someone going to nick it!
Old 31-01-17, 05:50 PM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I am always amazed how many disabled people own large German staff cars, one of my wife's former bosses was as fit as a flea, but he nagged his GP until he got a disabled sticker, he drove a large Jaguar so it's not just German cars.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 10:36 AM   #15
timwilky
Mega Poster

Reminds me of the time at my local supermarket when a lad in his late 20s is climbing out of his car in a disabled bay as I was queuing nearby to use the ATM.

This old codger verbally abuses him, saying what a disgrace he is and that these bays are for disabled users only. The lad smiles, pulls up his trouser leg sufficient to show a prosthetic leg and says something along the lines that he didn't leave his leg in Afghan to be abused by ignorant old fools when he came home.

Sometimes disability is not obvious to anyone but the individual concerned.

My own experience is that there is a missing element in provisioning. At present I am suffering sever arthritis in both knees. Standing never mind walking is painful. All I have are pain killers and a space on a waiting list queue to see a consultant. I would dearly love to be able to use a blue badge space even if I had to pay.
Old 01-02-17, 12:07 PM   #16
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

When I was on crutches I would park in the disabled bay at the supermarket - they have lots and lots of spaces - then tell customer services what I'd done before grabbing a wheelchair to do my shop. I would routinely see while unpacking my shopping other people parking in them with no blue badge then sprinting in the the store - clearly not disabled, they just didn't fancy the walk.

As soon as I was more mobile I was back parking in the normal spaces even though my foot is still very sore.

At the same time I got a load of abuse from an older lady on the bus when she sat down next to me in an empty seat in the 'please give up this seat' spot. So other people were standing but she had a seat no problem. She started berating me that these seats were for people less able to stand. When we got to my stop I stood up, grabbed my fold walking stick from my rucksack and said that she was probably more able to stand than me and what a shame age hadn't improved her manners before I hobbled off.
Old 01-02-17, 07:57 PM   #17
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post

My own experience is that there is a missing element in provisioning. At present I am suffering sever arthritis in both knees. Standing never mind walking is painful. All I have are pain killers and a space on a waiting list queue to see a consultant. I would dearly love to be able to use a blue badge space even if I had to pay.
Applying for a badge is done online to the country council.
They will assess your difficulty.
Try Capsaicin.
It is good
Old 02-02-17, 09:45 AM   #18
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Try Capsaicin.
It is good
Plenty of that in a really hot curry. Then you get to sit down all the next day
Old 02-02-17, 10:52 AM   #19
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Reminds me of the time at my local supermarket when a lad in his late 20s is climbing out of his car in a disabled bay as I was queuing nearby to use the ATM.

This old codger verbally abuses him, saying what a disgrace he is and that these bays are for disabled users only. The lad smiles, pulls up his trouser leg sufficient to show a prosthetic leg and says something along the lines that he didn't leave his leg in Afghan to be abused by ignorant old fools when he came home.

Exactly. One would assume by looking at Peg leg, that he's a rather healthy gorilla, judging by him being quite manly, svelte, and large chested, but find it odd he reaches for a walking stick, when the signs 'appear' that he's perfectly capable of jogging about a supermarket. However, he drives an automatic car, for starters and just looking at his leg, in a pair of shorts, shows there's something not quite right with the first glance at the picture. He might not have a prosthetic, but, unfortunately, and bluntly, preservation of what he's got(or not as the case is) is paramount. He'd rather be thought of as a normal human being, but, he's a bionic man, so let the man be. It's difficult carrying around the baggage of disability without an ignorant old fool gobbing off.

On the other side of the coin, we were at meadow hall on Sunday, and a chap pulled up into the next disabled bay, saw Peggy with his stick near the car and suggested, if we were leaving, it might be prudent to have a coffee and delay instead, as there was traffic stuck on both sides if the M1. I thought it nice to have a more sympathetic observation from someone, but by then, Peggy just wanted to be home, as his leg was finished for the day, and it's far worse than tooth ache..... For all of us!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote