SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-17, 02:58 PM   #1
HanksW7

Default 350mm Delkevic Stubby... Too Loud?!

I've just ordered the Delkevic 350mm Oval Carbon Fibre Stubby for my 2012 SV... Have been waiting to get rid of the stock pipe ever since I bought the bike, and with my first human baby due in November this was probably the last chance to spend some money on my old non human baby for some time. Looked at Fuel, Beowulf and Pipeworx and the Delkevic just fit the bill in terms of price and looks.

Anyway, can't wait to get it delivered and install next weekend, and turn those youtube videos into reality. I know it's going to sound awesome, and hope that the baffle keeps falling out so that I have to keep it under my seat though looking at this forum to check things like how far to cut the pipe from the weld, which sealant to use etc. I've come across some slagging of the 350mm size. Surely this isn't too loud? I live in London so can imagine a few irate neighbours and policemen, it's not too late to switch to the 415mm. Would that be a better option? (understand that for many louder is better...) What's the main difference?
HanksW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 05:17 PM   #2
Grim-Lock

Default Re: 350mm Delkevic Stubby... Too Loud?!

415 will be a deeper rumble than the 350 but not a large difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 07:44 PM   #3
DomP

Bin it and get a Fuel mine is the 350mm without the baffle goes through mot no probs and is a nice deep rumble.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-17, 09:15 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Hmm wait and see, I have a Quill and with the baffle sounds nice, without it, it's a bit painful even for the rider, God knows what it's like if you're behind. It basically makes no difference, even if it did it would be up at a million RPM. It'll sound nice anyway, leave it in for the sake of keeping the peace
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 11:10 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksW7 View Post

I know it's going to sound awesome, and hope that the baffle keeps falling out so that I have to keep it under my seat though looking at this forum to check things like how far to cut the pipe from the weld, which sealant to use etc.
I've used quite a few Exhaust sealants over the years but this is by far and away the best I've used,"Granville",

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRANVILLE-...IAAOSwuxFY2Sme

I've just fitted the cheap Slip-on to my Curvy and used this to make gas-tight seals,no welding.

Doesn't sound too bad for a £29 slip-on.Not as good as the better priced ones but better than stock for me,

https://app.box.com/s/50v1t40uzq6mayvxq6edm7cavzd3nxk6

I've done around 200 miles with it on and check my plugs and they are perfect,"Tan" coloured so it's not affected the mixture so far and if anything maybe a little power boost as it weighs about a third of the weight of the stock Exhaust.I did blow the baffle out<grin> but was on a country road so found it about a 150 yards back down the road.It was only held in with a crappy self-tapper so have put it back in with a small bolt and some blue thread-lock for security.

I also informed my Insurance company of the mod and upped my yearly mileage so it cost me another £75 in total but worth it for peace-of-mind IMHO.Now I've got the engine sound back in my head I was missing

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 04-09-17 at 06:46 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 12:10 PM   #6
Trev B

I've a blue flame (with or without baffle attached ) sounds great,my Japi Ducati !!!
Old 10-09-17, 08:28 AM   #7
HanksW7

It's in!!!!

Thanks for the advice all. Looks and sounds great. Will post comparison vids on YouTube shortly (but based on iPhone recording it's not the best sound quality). In reality the low rumble is amazing, and most definetly no baffle required. Did get stuck behind a Police Car on the ride after but just kept my distance ...

Super easy to install, very glad I cut 65mm away from weld as seems there is some kind of filter in the stock pipe (near weld) that I would've cut straight through if I want 40mm as some sights suggested.

Anyway here's the pic. Love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1090.jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by HanksW7; 10-09-17 at 08:38 AM.
HanksW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 08:46 AM   #8
Chris_SVS

Quote:
It's in!!!!

Thanks for the advice all. Looks and sounds great. Will post comparison vids on YouTube shortly (but based on iPhone recording it's not the best sound quality). In reality the low rumble is amazing, and most definetly no baffle required. Did get stuck behind a Police Car on the ride after but just kept my distance ...

Super easy to install, very glad I cut 65mm away from weld as seems there is some kind of filter in the stock pipe (near weld) that I would've cut straight through if I want 40mm as some sights suggested.

In NI at least, police are more interested in tiny number plates. A noisy bike isn't a bad thing, but numberplates smaller than your tail tidy are nothing but evasive of ANPR/harder to read etc etc.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 08:49 AM   #9
Grim-Lock

Quote:
It's in!!!!

I ended up pulling the waffle out on mine, if you do the same at some point be damn careful of the plug in front... I was and it saved me a few bob by not smashing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 06:21 AM   #10
Blapper

I have a 400mm Fuel on mine now which I run baffle out. I ran it baffle-in but the difference was negligible but baffle-out it is a little too noisey but prefereable to baffle-in.

The bike seems a little richer since the swap too.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote