SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 20-04-08, 08:57 PM   #1
plowsie

Default AutoGlym Motorcycle degreaser

With the bike been off the road for some time, thought I would give her a good clean up. Was at Silverstone this weekend for the GT championships, seen some of this for ?4.99 on a shelf. Thought hmmm could do with some of that to clean some bits. Now it is magic on the rear wheel for cleaning all that cack off from the chain lube, the sidestand and other parts that need grease and road much shifting. Looks like though that I have left the engine and front of the engine behind the downpipes for too long. So on a side note I remeber someone using some stuff in a blue white and red can, what was it?

Anyway, this stuff, ?5, will do me sir Cleaned up the rims with a very nice thin layer.
Old 20-04-08, 08:59 PM   #2
Sean_C

Default Re: AutoGlym Motorcycle degreaser

Dad got a can of this the other day, its brilliant, I couldn't believe it. I'd finally summoned up the energy to get all the crap off the back wheel, put that on it and it came off easy as anything
Old 20-04-08, 09:09 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Its good, but I find parafin works just as well and its much much cheaper.

I've got an old muc off bottle with the sprayer on it and I pour the parafin into that and then spray it onto the bike, shifts the grime really easily.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-08, 09:18 PM   #4
Sean_C

Got a 5l bottle of parafin, might have to do that when the autoglym stuff runs out, which i shouldn't think will be any time soon. Nice tip.
Old 21-04-08, 08:03 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

A degrease my SV with an angle grinder
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-08, 01:28 PM   #6
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Its good, but I find parafin works just as well and its much much cheaper.

I've got an old muc off bottle with the sprayer on it and I pour the parafin into that and then spray it onto the bike, shifts the grime really easily.

would it be safe to use on painted fairings?

heres a top tip for you, get a 2 litre pop bottle just put a few inch of parafin in the bottom, then put your chain in, put the lid on and shake, cleans the chain a treat.
Old 22-04-08, 08:41 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
would it be safe to use on painted fairings?
I use it on mine, I spray it all around the rear of the bike to get all the fling from the scotoiler off the inside of the fairing.

I've not had a problem with it so far.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-08, 08:43 PM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

I use it and it shifted some heavy oily sludge from the inside of a fairing panel. However, the wife then walked in said sludge and now I need a new lounge carpet.
Old 23-04-08, 09:18 AM   #9
Dicky Ticker

Have you tried it on the carpet yet?Serious,I sprayed a little on an oily smudge,rubbed it in then used the little household steam cleaner thingy and the stain lifted right out of the carpet when hoovered
Old 23-04-08, 10:24 AM   #10
Grinch

I use paraffin to, bought about 5 litres of the stuff. Cleaned the chain of the other bike by leaving it in a tub with it for about a week.