SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-08, 11:48 AM   #1
Brettus

Default How about this for a route?

http://tinyurl.com/6hn4et
Suggestions appreciated.

I'm toying with the idea of doing an end to end run next year if we get anything like reasonable weather.
so far the only deviations I'd like to do are loch ness, falkirk (to see the wheel), edinburgh (catch up with a mate), off through lake district, then depart the M6 again mid cheshire to duck through wales, to avoid some of the motorway run, then along the north coast to call at tintagel possibly, not as essential though. (oh, taking in Cheddar gorge too as that looks fun)

I was thinking 3 days for the main trip, is that reasonable or too fast/slow? I'd be hoping to combine stop overs with cheap travelodge rooms I think.
obviously there would be time to get to the start/finish too which makes it a pain but starting from the middle means its split reasonably well between start and end.

Anyone have any suggestions or ammendments to the route? change it and repost a link if you like. any other advice appreciated as usual.

only an inkling of an idea at the moment but it would be nice.

Last edited by Brettus; 03-11-08 at 11:54 AM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 12:13 PM   #2
madness

Default Re: How about this for a route?

Too much motorway! From Edinburgh go down the coast to Newcastle (ish) and then cross country to the Lakes.
Old 03-11-08, 01:02 PM   #3
kitkat

the wheel is rubbish
Old 03-11-08, 01:38 PM   #4
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Too much motorway! From Edinburgh go down the coast to Newcastle (ish) and then cross country to the Lakes.
So, something closer to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
the wheel is rubbish
Yeah that may be but I'd be heading by there and I like engineering stuff, plus its efficiency is impressive, takes very little energy to turn as it balances. anyway, I'll collect my anorak......
Old 03-11-08, 02:17 PM   #5
Brettus

Hmm, hotel stops, what would be the best way? seems a shame to stay in a hotel in mid-scotland to dash up to JOG just to turn round and come back, seems like it should be a starting point really but i'd guess hotels up there would be costly, especially in summer.
same for the finish of course, I'm assuming a day travelling from home to jog, then another day from lands end back home. Home being cheshire almost in the middle.
Old 03-11-08, 03:31 PM   #6
Dicky Ticker

Do-able but remember your transit time will be drastically reduced in Scotland and you'll have a sore Rse. Not so bad going south as you have more motorways, which you will need to use to the max on both legs to complete in your time scale
Old 03-11-08, 03:50 PM   #7
Brettus

Yeah, just checked the home to "start" run, that would be almost 10 hours, bit much, might have to add another night in and stay south of JOG then as I say, head there and just turn round I guess.
It reckons 6 hours for the return to home after hitting lands end, so thats doable as to do end to end in three days would be 7.5 hours a day apparently. hmm whats a "normal" amount of daily riding time for a little touring?
Old 03-11-08, 03:51 PM   #8
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Do stop in to Sennen Cove which is the last village before you get to Lands End. Drop into the cove and visit the Pub down there as it is full of people who have done John o Groats to Lands End various different ways.
It also makes Land End for the trip as Lands End it's actual self is a bit of a let down.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 03:55 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

From Newtown, take the A483 to Builth Wells rather than the much inferior A470. A483 is twisty heaven.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 04:30 PM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
So, something closer to this:

Yeah that may be but I'd be heading by there and I like engineering stuff, plus its efficiency is impressive, takes very little energy to turn as it balances. anyway, I'll collect my anorak......
Apparantly as much energy as an elecric kettle, which impressed me
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote