SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-09, 08:12 PM   #1
Rammsteinkid

Default K3 Battery Woes?

Well, the story goes; was gonna start up the bike to go to uni, but noticed muck covering the numberplate, cleaned it up with a hose and went to start it up but i got nothing.
with the key in the ignition, the display lights up little whin of (fuel pump?), all lights but when i put the indis on, the display dips in brightness.
so, i thought about the battery, pulled up the seat topped up the battery for 30 mins, and it growled into life but a $hit load of smoke appeared from the engine.
turn it back off obviously and tried to start agian, got nothing but a whin of the fuel pump(i think).
dad came in, topped it up agian, and just there tried to start but it will only turn over, no grumble of life.
what is the next step tp take? im not machanically savvy so dont be too complicated.
any help but i just put 'super-unleaded' in it to see what it would do(not this though!)
also im at work, on my break, wont be replying till 1 in the morning!

Last edited by Rammsteinkid; 01-12-09 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 08:18 PM   #2
Moojuicepez

Default Re: K3 Battery Woes? :'(

my bike died today too. battery.

apparently the -3 degree cold killed off my batter. put my dads battery in and "BRUMM BRRUMMMMMM"

charging the batter tonight and keeping the bike in a new cover i bought 20 mins ago and in a garage.

should do the trick for mine.

this is probably no help at all to you
Old 01-12-09, 08:23 PM   #3
lee67

mine too today....got batt on charge as we speak and gonna fit new plugs tomoz
Old 01-12-09, 08:40 PM   #4
Moojuicepez

think your plugs have gone too lee or just doing it as a precaution
Old 02-12-09, 01:42 AM   #5
Rammsteinkid

Default Re: K3 Battery Woes?

wow, must just been the frost then? it was -4'C here(Scotland).
im going to check the plugs tomorrow and charge overnight, ill post the result.
Old 02-12-09, 03:24 AM   #6
TightRS

Bah my battery wouldn't work either. I tried starting about 10 times, but the dash started to cut out. I took out the headlight fuse for extra power, but no luck.

I've just spent 4hrs with an old car charger set on low. It seems my Lidl Tronic TX4 battery charger would only charge to 12v (instead of 12.8v) then says it's full and go back to trickle charge.
Old 02-12-09, 10:37 AM   #7
Rammsteinkid

UPDATE.

i charged overnight, tried to start it, it wanted to start but it couldnt. bit of trottle and the same result.

apparently i used half half the battery in 2 mins :/

Last edited by Rammsteinkid; 02-12-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 04:14 PM   #8
lee67

well 2 new ngk plugs and she started right up......original **** denso's managed 7100 miles( god i hate denso's)...bike ran smooth as and had a well earned 80 mile blast....so check those plugs lad's..i thought mine was batt related as it was spinning slow