SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-06, 06:22 PM   #1
MidgetMoose

Default Main Stand...??

My bike sits outside work all day with idiots forever parking beside it and ****ed off at me(for no apparent reason) customers walking past it. Im terrrified of it getting knocked over at some point think its just a matter of time.

Is there any way of getting a main stand on a SV? would make it just that harder to do....
Old 05-06-06, 06:30 PM   #2
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Ta-dah!!!!

http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/acatalog/S...re_Stands.html

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-06, 07:01 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Just leave the bike in gear and roll it forwards a tad before puting the sidestand down.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-06, 11:35 PM   #4
MidgetMoose

Danke folks,

I shall look that up and also employ the tempory matter in deterring people from destroying it.
Old 05-06-06, 11:59 PM   #5
Xerbraski

I think the mainstand is a highly useful piece of kit.

Not only because it offers better stabilty for parking, but it can make some parts of periodic maintenence of the bike easy as pie:
Wheel/chain adjustment, chain lubing/cleaning and even wheel removal (if you tie off the mainstand so it dosn't shift that is).
They're like portable paddockstands.

I'm surprised Suzuki don't make a mainstand as an optional extra, what with the bike being classed as a sports tourer.
I'd imagine it'd be quite a popular mod for the SV riders who use their bikes with more touring/commuting in mind, rather than those who prefer flying through the twisties etc.

Also, I've heard that leaving a bike on it's sidestand for long periods of time (days etc) can cause all the oil to collect in one side of the engine.
So, when you come along and start the bike for the first time in days, some engine internals can be running slightly dry for a wee while.
Maybe it's mainly when the weather is cold and the oil is thicker or maybe it affects IL4's more because the engine is wider.

I don't know how true that is, but if your bike has been on it's sidestand for a while in the cold, then would it be best to sit on the bike to let
the oil sort of 'find it's level' before starting it, rather than starting it leaned over on its sidestand?
Or would the wear on the engine be so miniscule it's not worth worryin' about?

I think i'd consider a mainstand myself like the one in Lissa's link, aslong as it looked tidy.
Old 06-06-06, 08:56 AM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'm with TSM, you should always leave it in gear on the sidestand. Roll it forwards till it stops then put it on the stand, if anyone knocks it over, a centrestand wouldn't have helped you anyway.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 08:59 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

The center stand is heavy, clumsy, stops you putting certain exhausts on it, and reduces ground clearence!

Why not just park the bike somewhere out of the way?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote