SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-06, 09:24 PM   #1
1000homodjs

Default electrical short circuit

Hello all, I am the proud owner of an sv650s (first registered 2000) which I bought cheap from a mate last week.

On the run home to Edinburgh from Southampton last week it stopped, at midnight, in the drizzle, in the middle of nowhere. Not a good start.

The main fuse had blown and as soon as I put another in it popped when the ignition was turned on.

After an epic adventure, I managed to get it home. Anyway, it still has the problem. When I turn the ignition (nothing else) on the fuse blows.

I did a search of the archives and found mention of the problem of the cable loom rubbing against the seat bracket, but it does not seem to be that.

There is no cable tie holding the wires here. I shoved bits of cardboard between the loom and the frame wherever I could reach and sprayed everything obvious with duck oil. Still the same problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what could be wrong? Any tips for how to go about finding the problem?

Cheer's
Rob.

PS Just found that stuff about the headstock chaffing. I will have a look at that when it stops raining.
Old 08-05-06, 08:08 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Try pulling all the fuses in the fuseboard, then refit the main fuse in the solenoid.
Does the main fuse pop? If yes then the short/insulation problem is somewhere between the battery and the main switch*. Continue this line of enquiry - that is, insert fuses and switch stuff on until the fuse blows, this will identify which part of the electrical system in which the fault lies.

*This includes the bits that are not futher fused of course, the reg/rec & wiring, and there's one permanently live connection to the fuse board.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 08:57 AM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

There are 3 (well 4 really) points where the harness is vulnerable, in case you didn't find reference to them all in your earlier search.

Behind both fixing bolts for the rider's seat (bolts are too long and hit the harness)

Under the pillion seat at the rear left side where the harness bends round teh edge of a frame bracket.

In the headstock area where the harness can become worn due to rubbing.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote