SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-06, 10:00 AM   #1
dmracing

Default knocking noise from front end

Ive got a K5 SVS. I got it from new back in October and I have only just put 1,300 miles on it. I know that is sh1te but I havent had time.

Anyway, its developed a knocking noise every time I got over a bump. Ive heard some whispers that some of the SV's have had to have headstock bearings replaced very early on. Im not sure if this is true so im after some help.

Does it sound to you that there is something wrong? Or do all SV's knock over bumps? If there is a problem, does anyone know if its fixed under warrenty? Or am I going to have to get the credit card out?

Cheers guys!!
dmracing
Old 17-02-06, 10:04 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

they all do that sir

Yep every single SVS I've ridden ( all 4 of them ) has done this

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-06, 10:11 AM   #3
bobit69

Quote:
they all do that sir

Upgrade spirngs (Ohlins/Maxton) and 10/15w oil and it will make most of the knocking dissapear! Oh, and improve the handling!
Old 17-02-06, 10:32 AM   #4
diamond

My K5 does it, and i've come to the conclusion that it's the clocks that do the knocking.

There's a pot hole on my journey to work that if i ride through it then the knock always happens so i know it's coming and i listen carefully to where the knock is coming from. I'm almost sure it's the clocks. It's certainly not the forks bottoming out goes i only weigh about 9 stone in my bike kit and i don't hit the pot hole hard.
Old 17-02-06, 10:45 AM   #5
dmracing

Clocks... great! Thats saved me the trip of taking it in for no reason. Im sure if there is anything wrong with it, it will be picked up when she goes in for her 4,000 mile service.

cheers guys. your all a great help.
Old 17-02-06, 10:57 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Loads of theories why it happens... Some say it's the damper rods (makes sense this, it seems to go away with thicker oil. Some say it's the clocks.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-06, 02:22 PM   #7
Reckless Rat

Pleased to hear mine's not the only one!

RR
Old 17-02-06, 03:05 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Loads of theories why it happens... Some say it's the damper rods (makes sense this, it seems to go away with thicker oil. Some say it's the clocks.
I say that its the ****e roads in this country. Mines done it from day one, it now had preload caps and different springs n oil, and still does it.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-06, 07:43 PM   #9
Warthog

the K5 and K3 I have ridden both do it. nothing to worry about. Does anyone reckon its the suspension AFTER the hit, forcing the forks back out? I went up a big curb, and it seemed to knock after the initial hit? Is that possible?
Old 17-02-06, 08:31 PM   #10
andyaikido

Is the knocking noise found only on the sv? Bandits have the same forks, don't they?